Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: High Winds?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> High Winds?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sitting at a beautiful site on a lake in eastern TX with the 38 ft fifth wheel facing the souh - forecast of high wind gusts up to 70 MPH -

Have you ever seen a RV blown over? How high of winds does it take to uproot a RV?

the only time I have seen that happen was during a tornado - course I am from the Joplin area..........

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does facing south mean the nose or the door (curb) side? We are also in south TX. I don't think the gust are sustained, which means you will probably feel some rocking, but not a blow over like a sustained (tornado/hurricane) wind.

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had some "high" winds here in our town a couple of years ago and the FWs didn't blow over, but one of the FWs here in the neighborhood did slide off the cinder blocks he had under his front jacks. The blocks were sitting on gravel and that might have contributed to the problem, since the other two FWs in our neighborhood didn't move an inch. 70 mph is pretty gusty, but I'll bet you'll be ok. One question, though, for those in the know, would hitching back up to the TV help keep the FW from rocking and perhaps blowing over?

John A. Lichty

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never personally seen any type of RV blown over by strong winds. However, if I was in your situation, I would want my trailer hitched up to the truck and the nose of the truck and trailer facing directly away from the direction of the wind. If the winds were coming from the west, I would want my unit headed east.

We experienced extremely high winds one night about 6 years ago in Iowa. Thankfully our 5th wheel was hitched to the truck. The truck and trailer were headed directly into the westward wind. I only wish I had known earlier that the high winds had been forecast and I would have headed the truck and trailer eastward. I think the rear of the 5th wheel would be less likely to be lifted up than the front overhang of the trailer. Fortunately, we did not have any problems.

Wishing you the best.

ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks - the full length of the rv - door side facing the south with nothing in front of us but lake for miles - beautiful but windy most of the time

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winds can topple a RV and not trying to scare you but 70 MPH wind gust could do it but probably wouldn’t…
What would be more likely to happen is it would move the unit… with a 5er the problem there is the high load on the jacks can cause them to buckle or break when moved that way… if only one jack leg lets go wind can easily push it over on its side…
A CG I was in just after a minimal cat 1 hurricane passed through had 4 trailers on their side and 3 of them were 5ers and all 3 had one jack leg buckled… I don’t know how well any of them were secured but a lot of other trailers made it through ok… maybe a pin jack would be helpful but I don’t know…
Make sure the wheels are blocked well to greatly reduce the risk of this happening…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ReadyToGo

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have also seen a trailer rv blown off it's blocks. It is best of course if you could have the front or rear into the wind.
The much bigger problem is driving in those conditions. I was just in a 30 mph with gusts up to 60 and turned around within a few miles and sat for the day.

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody has mentioned - would it not be a good idea to bring in the slides. I have done this on windy days.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

CardinalCamper

Gunnison Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seen 2 Travel Trailers get blown over at El Dorado SP in Ks. I was camphosting storm hit around 3 am.I was in my 5th wheel which I have anchored down and it held good.

That same storm also moved a few trailers and pushed several Trash dumpsters around winds were said to be 80 plus.

Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom Sawyer CG. - Tornado touched down in CG.-

Picked up my 31ft MH from the side and then it slammed down. After storm had to have my MH lifted back up to get everyone's personal items out from underneath it.

TT next to me flipped over - after the DW unhooked the TV and headed for cover, leaving the DH inside the TT that flipped over because it was no longer attached to the TV!

The other TT on the other side of my had the awning partially ripped off and the high winds kept slamming the arms against his TT just wrecking the roof. He got out and took a buck knife to it to stop the damage.

So YUP! High winds CAN pick them up and flip them over, saw it and experienced it first hand!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> High Winds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS