Woodalls Open Roads Forum: A new journey for us. Here we go.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A new journey for us. Here we go.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the title says, here we go. We have decided to put our travel trailer in storage at Ocean Lakes permanently, beginning the weekend of February 9th. Now before you go saying I would never do that or Brian, you've lost your mind., let me explain. We have a big TT. We have a big truck to pull that TT. Besides going to a couple places within an hours drive up in the mountains here, the main place we go to and enjoy, is the beach. Matter of fact, we had already made reservations for two weeks at ocean lakes around the 4th of July. We had the TT in storage there for a few months last year and it was nice jumping into the little 37 mpg car and driving down there and the camper on site already. No 8mpg pulling it, no having to worry about pulling it through the narrow roads of the campground and no worries of having to watch it going down the road. Really a lot less worries.

We are paying for storage here where we live as it is, so the cost of storage is null. Part of the issue is that we have this big truck sitting here in the driveway that we don't like to turn the key on to. My wife works from home, but everyone once in a while she has to drive the 35 miles into work like I do everyday. We will drive the truck if we have to, but we try to avoid it as much as possible. At $3.50/gallon (average), it costs us nearly $25 round trip to work. My wife does want to be able to go in and hop in a vehicle that is "her" and that she doesn't feel guilty cranking up. Plus something smaller for her would be nice.

But that's not all. Back to the 35' TT. It wasn't really designed for boondocking or dry camping. It was made more for resort style camping with full hook ups. There are places we want to camp up here in the mountains and on the blue ridge pkwy that we can't simply park our TT or at least it's not ideal. So the plan is to trade the truck in on a smaller SUV with at least 3500 lbs of towing power if not 5000lbs. Something smaller and better on gas. Something that we can tow the golf cart on a small trailer down to ocean lakes when we go and something to pull something like a pop up. Yep, I said it, a pop up. We started our rving journey 13 years ago with a pop up and sold it after a few years when life got in the way. We really have missed it every now and then. How much easier it was to go somewhere and easier to pull. Boondocking would be much less of an issue and we could park it in just about any campsite. It would allow us to do some different style of camping. Also, we can park the pop up here at the house with less issues.

Here....we.....gooooooooooo.......

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

rightyouareken

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck to you! Sounds like you thought it through. I can understand your priorities. For myself just getting into rving, one of the things that excites me is the journey and the towing. Call me crazy. Maybe it's my mechanical tinkerer side, but I look forward to hooking up and dragging a big a$$ trailer across this great country . Maybe I'll change my tune after 20 years.

2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While a pop up may meet your needs, you might also take a look at some of the small fiberglass trailers. I tow an Escape 17B with a RAV4 - 15MPG towing & 25 MPG when I drop the trailer; I've towed the combination 33,000 miles over the last two years.

I have a page with links to trailer forums, manufactures, user blogs, etc at JV's Fiberglass Trailer Links.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

wbwood

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rightyouareken... It's not only about the towing. It's several of the factors I mentioned. One thing I didn't mention is that we have limited time off together. Getting two weeks together like we will this summer is unusual. A lot of our trips are shorter weekend type trips. Spending a $150 in gas for a weekend trip is less than ideal. And as I mentioned we have a golf cart to take with us. We can and have put it I back of the truck, but then it's more difficult to load and unload than t would be with the trailer. Plus the additional weight in the bed of the truc with a 10000 lb tt is not ideal.

Vermilye, I will loo at the site. I thought about those but we wanted something with two beds (one for daughter) and a little separation.

Windwalker55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did basically what you are doing. We had a Dodge diesel 3/4 ton and a fifth-wheel, as well as a truck camper for long trips. We used the 5ver for work camping. We sold both and went to a hybrid TT, a 16' Kodiak. We really like it, while it is easy to pull and handy to get into tight spaces, it still has a bathroom with shower, and nice kitchen setup. We like having the wings, since we once had a pop-up also and enjoyed that. It is easy to boondock with especially since I added a second battery. I also downsized to a Ford F-150 truck with the ecoboost system and we love it. It is powerful and gets great mileage, almost as good as our Honda CRV. Anyway we are pleased with our decision to downsize.

2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

wbwood

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind walker....not really downsizing (well except for e truck). We are still keeping the TT, but now we will have a home by the sea (with wheels on it) and different view every time. Lol

Bob & Ann

North AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood
It has been years since we have been to Ocean Lakes. In fact our girls were real young then and now they are married with children of their own. Ocean Lakes was a fun place for us. It sounds like you have a plan in place. The only draw back will be storing it right there on the ocean. The salt air will take its toll on your trailer pretty fast. Especially not being able to wash it regularly. However it will definitely make life easier for you.

Bob and Ann
One HAPPY Schnauzer - Della
One FRISKY Chihuahua - Lola
Tiffin Motor Home
2014 40 QBH Phaeton
Freightliner Chassis
Cummins ISL 380 HP/150 Torque
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

wbwood

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good thing it's a short 4 hr ride for us. Maybe quicker without the trailer. We plan on going down at least once every other month for a weekend if not more. So it will get a washing probably more than it does now. Lol.

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think what you're doing makes sense for you. It works out well.

As for us, it wouldn't happen.

1. We like going to multiple places.

2. We like having our camper here at home.

3. We like pulling the camper wherever we go. The excitement of loading up, pulling out for "wherever", and just traveling down the road "RVing".

2013 F350 SRW 4X4 6.2L
2014 Work & Play 30WRS

wbwood

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

I think what you're doing makes sense for you. It works out well.

As for us, it wouldn't happen.

1. We like going to multiple places.

2. We like having our camper here at home.

3. We like pulling the camper wherever we go. The excitement of loading up, pulling out for "wherever", and just traveling down the road "RVing".

Didn't say we wouldn't be going to multiple places. Just not in the big camper. The smaller pop up will give s more options of places to go. It will be easier for us and not as taxing. Plus it will be here in our yard. We are unfortunate to have a sloping yard that where we could put the TT that it takes my truck being in 4 wheel drive to get out. Ad that's when the ground is dry.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A new journey for us. Here we go.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS