Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Random overnight stops
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Random overnight stops

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me and the wife have been RVing now for over a year....already on our second TT . All of our trips have been fairly close ones...longest one was like 350 miles tops. We are considering making the trek from Texas to Disney in FL next summer. My plan is to take it slow. It's 1150 miles and I first though I would do that over two days with one night stop...but I've rethought it and will now probably work a half day and then leave in the afternoon and get about 300 or so miles under my belt...then the next day drive about 500 then the last day would be about 300.

My question is this...we would have to do this in the summer time so would I need to make reservations at the two overnight places I would stop. My idea would be to hopefully find pull though sites and not even unhook so I could make a quick exit the next morning. The sites I would stay at would need little more than electric and water...we could probably even get by with just electric to run the AC.

The conservative thing would be too book routes but the problem with that is it could limit me when I felt like I could push on or it might push me when I'm ready to call it quits for the day.

Love to hear thoughts of people that often travel long distances in shorter periods.

Oh and my plan is that I would make this entire trip in 11 days...I added the half day so 11.5 days. I work for myself so I honestly can't take much more time off than that. I know most would want to take this really slow and only go a couple hundred miles a day but I just can't afford that time. Doing this trip is really only made possible by smartphones, laptops, and wifi.

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

jnharley

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As full timers, we try not to drive more than 250 miles a day. However, we understand that many cannot do that. I would suggest that you determine how far you want to drive each day and pick a place to stop. Your body will thank you for it. You do not want to be tired when you are at your destination. Driving on our highways can be very stressful with all the crazy drivers on the road. Give yourself some time to relax before you have to hit the road each day.

2012 Dodge Dually
2012 Nu WA Discover America 355CK

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have kids along, drive as long as you're alert. Weather might be nice enough that you only need to open your vents in the trailer to stay cool at night in a rest area. If it's hot, I'd suggest getting early starts so you can find and pull in somewhere while there's still light to see what you're doing.

You can get a trailer life park directory, use a smartphone app, or fire up a laptop while you're fueling to check potential layovers.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

josten367

Columbia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last June we took a trip from MO to FL to Disney World. We took 3 days to get down there and 1 full day driving coming back. I like the 3 days going down and enjoying things and stopping when we needed too. I hate doing it all in one day. 20 hours plus of driving I would not recommend. Enjoy your trip as you go. I would check with the camp sites you want to stay with before you leave. Sometimes of the year it's not a big deal to drive up and park but some fill up quick and you don't want to be looking for a camping spot at 8 pm at night, unless you are Wally World camping. 500 miles is a long trip, specially with traffic but that is always best on the first day because you will already be well rested and ready to go. After that slow it down. Just my 2 cent.

2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel in the winter a lot when RV parks aren't open. You can usually find truck stops where you can park over night if necessary. We always ask foor pull throughs at RV parks. Sometime you get one, sometimes not.

Just be careful how hard you push driving. If you are tired you are an accident just waiting to happen.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

rbtglove

Beavercreek OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We try to stay at 350-400 miles in a day but have done more. We generally make reservations but if we want flexibility we look at likely places to stop and identify 3-4 good campgrounds. (Campround review sites an reserve/rec America etc). We call ahead on the day of travel to ask about availability. Only problem is public campgrounds may be full during season on weekends but most private ones are not.Hope this helps - enjoy Disney.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

neschultz

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do the same as mowermech. Never had a problem and our schedule and stops can be flexible.

2014 Winnebago Via 25P - Vinnie with a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ Hatchback Toad - Julie

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my wife and I were traveling quite a bit, we purchased the Trailer Life Camp Directory and carried it in the cab of the truck with us. While on the road, we would decide how much longer we wanted to travel, open the Directory up and find campgrounds we might want to stop at and give them a call on the cell phone to check if they had any sites we could use. Like you, we did not want to unhook from the truck, just connect elec. and water for the nights use. We rarely had trouble finding a spot to use for the night, and we slept well in the summer with the A/C.

Dave & Pat
1999 Wanderer 230FB
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, trying to make it to retirement"

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last fall, we made a trip from Montana to Chattanooga. We made no reservations on the way down or coming back, other than to call when about an hour or two from the campground we selected in our Woodalls Directory, to make sure there was a space available. We didn't get turned away from any place due to it being full.
IMO, reservations make things too set. I would rather start calling when we are about ready to stop, and if we decide to stay for an extra day it usually is no problem.
Have a good trip.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to do 400 miles per day at 59-62 mph. If it is windy or I run into traffic delays I change the mileage factor to time on the road. No I don't normally reserve, unless it is a well known c/g that is popular. For o/nite I don't usually bother with those. I have found that you should request the type of site you want when you check in. Often c/g owners will fill up their worst sites with oversights. Your money is as good as the next guys, so get the best bang out of it. The trip can be the best part of the journey.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Random overnight stops
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS