Woodalls Open Roads Forum: RV Parking Rights - 18 ft. travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Parking Rights - 18 ft. travel trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
beverly smales

Binghamton, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Chenango Bridge NY and supberb of Binghamton NY. I have been parking a camper in my driveway for over 6 years. A neighbor recently decided to complain to the Zoning Board about the camper, claiming it was "unsightly". I went thru filing a "Hardship Request" and attending 3 town meetings in followup to this request to allow for parking of my camper in my driveway. I was refused in spite of 4 letters agreeing to allow this request.

This is only parked temporarily in my driveway in the summer months.

This is such an inconvenience to me and I am unable to find any place nearby to park the camper.

I am 74 years old, haul this by myself, and could use some help in trying to reverse this decision.

I sincerely appreciate any help that can be offered.

Bev S.

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do they allow trailers parked behind a wood fence?

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam has a parking rights guide which you can get from their web site.

Make sure to read the cities actual ordiance and also drive around the neighborhood to see if there are other instances of parking violations and perhaps they can join you.

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many Cities and towns have similar restrictions. Until your unit is spotted or more likely complained about, you slide under the town's law. Our City only allows a trailer parked in a driveway during the summer months, for loading or Un loading. NO long term parking allowed..
Long term parking, has to be on a hard surface, not grass, and not in front of the house or driveway. but parked even with or behind your house. Don't even think of parking it on a street overnight.
All this fuss came about years ago after a resident kept his trailer parked in his driveway 24/7 =365 days a year for years on end. Finally the neighbors had enough. Thus these restrictions now apply.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went through the exact same experience about 4 years ago. After having the 3rd of 3 campers parked in the same spot for 10 years, one day the zoning board left me the "nasty" posted to my front door ... "move it or be fined." Fining includes additional charges to your property tax if you don't pay (so we found out). It took some effort, but absolutely could not break through the zoning restriction. End result ... we moved the camper to the in-laws farm an hour away and bought another house (where we currently live) and then brought the camper home. That was 4 years ago. It took 3 and 1/2 years to sell the house in town ... which really stiffled our camping for the last 4 years carrying 2 mortgages. Bottom line? Would I do it again? YES! in a heart beat. I sleep where my camper parks! And it turned out to be a very good thing. We live in the country now, have all kinds of freedom we did not have in town, can have open fires, enjoy hearing coyotees at night, and can see the stars again! And we pull the camper in the back yard facing the corn field and fire ring and it beats any campground we've ever been to.

Sometimes, you've just got to figure out what's more important. For the immediate moment, you should move it so you won't be in violation of zoning and get hit with a horrid bill. Considering you've already fought city hall, you're probably out of luck now, unless you can ralley a bazillian-million people to storm the Mayor's office, the Zoning Board, the news media, and get popular attention support. If you can't ... you're toast. Sells the house and live in the camnper! Life is too short for these kinds of wars!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to find out if there is an appeal process for these types of decisions. Going through the courts is always an alternative - but you most likely would need an attorney.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, the only help I can give is to say find out what the law or zoning ordinance actually says, and fully comply with it
or
Sell the place, and find a half acre in the country where you can live the way YOU wish to.
I realize that in many areas it is nearly impossible to find real estate where there are no CCRs or HOA or zoning.
You tried to fight City Hall, and got slapped down. There just isn't much more you can do.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beverly smales wrote:

I live in Chenango Bridge NY and supberb of Binghamton NY. I have been parking a camper in my driveway for over 6 years. A neighbor recently decided to complain to the Zoning Board about the camper, claiming it was "unsightly". I went thru filing a "Hardship Request" and attending 3 town meetings in followup to this request to allow for parking of my camper in my driveway. I was refused in spite of 4 letters agreeing to allow this request.

This is only parked temporarily in my driveway in the summer months.

This is such an inconvenience to me and I am unable to find any place nearby to park the camper.

I am 74 years old, haul this by myself, and could use some help in trying to reverse this decision.

I sincerely appreciate any help that can be offered.

Bev S.

Try to look at it from the point of view of the code-enforcers entrusted with running the jurisdiction you live in:

The problem is, if they grant your "hardship request", it'll likely unleash an avalanche of similar requests which they'd have to grant, too. They really have no choice but to deny you if they have any hope of enforcing the ordinance elsewhere in their jurisdiction!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Mulberry912

Port Wentworth, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The city tried that with me on two occasions. The first was my fence. My property is completely fenced in. I have two drive through gates to get into my driveways (2). They tried to get me to take the fence down and I told them to buzz off. Turns out I owned my home prior to the ordinance being approved so I was grandfathered in.

Then they tried to make me move my M/H out from the side of my house. I have a designated drive through gate for the coach. I also have a 30AMP dock installed and a crush and run drive and pad for the coach. Again, GRAND-Fathered in.

Check to see when the ordianance preventing you from parking your TT in your driveway was approved and put into place. You may not have to obide by it if you are grand-fathered in.

2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H Workhorse Chasis 8.1 LTR V8. Many factory upgrades

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Parking Rights - 18 ft. travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS