Woodalls Open Roads Forum: How to save a diabetic traveler - out of cash
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to save a diabetic traveler - out of cash

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While stopped at a rest area on I-95 south in South Carolina, I was approached by an unfortunate soul. He informed me that he was from Texas, and unfortunately lost his wallet some 300 miles back up the road. And he was out of money. Out of food. Needed gas. And was diabetic. And he needed get back to Texas for a family emergency. And would be so grateful if I could help him out.

I excused my self...stating I needed the rest room. Well...I eventually came out of the rest room and he approached me again.

So I told him I would be glad to help him out. I pulled out my cell phone and before I started dialing, informed him that "the police have resources that could help people out in such emergencies. Especially if it is life threatening like DIABETES. And they can get him financial help from any number of charitable organizations like Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, and such. So I'll just call the police for him and help will be on the way."

His response...was that he really didn't need the help that bad. "And there was no reason for me to call the police on him."

My response..."Oh...I am not calling the police on you. I am calling them to get them to get the help for you that you need."

His response..."Oh NO! You shouldn't do that. There is no need for that." And he turned and walked away.

As he walked away, I shouted to him...."Oh YES! I am calling the police to get you the help you need. I am dialing 911 right now." And I DID call 911 right then and there. And the poor soul actually looked back at me as I was talking to a 911 dispatcher. I informed the 911 operator of the description of his car, and that this guy is approaching people in rest areas. She informed me that the police would be on alert in rest areas.

Then he got in his poor broken down car and drove away. So apparently, he was feeling much better after our discussion. And must have found some gas for his car. Because when he left the rest area, he had pedal to the metal, and wasn't so concerned about saving fuel. At that rate of speed, he is probably in Texas by now.

And it's funny. A week later in a shopping center parking lot. Approached again. Must have been his brother...I guess. Same story. I gave him same 'call 911" response. And it's a miracle. He was saved too. Equally funny...first guy was white. His brother in the shopping center was black.

Never-the-less, I am feeling pretty good about my healing powers right now. You may want to try the same thing if you get approached like this. See if you can heal these unfortunate souls too. I may have uncovered one of life's mysteries.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep up the good work!

CREATO

Beautiful Harvey N.D.

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like this idea it would weed out the panhandlers from people who really need a helping hand.

I dont rent out space in my brain

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bless you brother for being so concerned for the less fortunate of God's creatures. hehehe

I WILL remember your responce and use it myself the next time the occasion arises.

Love it...

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great tip....I just called 911 and they are sending over some cash

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surprised he didnt pull a gun and shoot you you were lucky

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chiefneon wrote:

Keep up the good work!

wow, with that cure rate, your on the nobel prize list!

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

2oldman

North Platte

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll usually give them a few bucks if they say "hey, I need some money to get drunk". But if they lie, yeah, I like your solution.

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent post. It could not be handled better. Thanks for posting.

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a few years back a guy came into our church about half way thru the service. He sat in the back and made sure he got the Pastors attention. At the end of the service the Pastor made his way over and spoke to him. A couple of minutes later the Pastor announced an emergency meeting of the directors. At the meeting he explained to us that this poor fellow was out of gas hadn't eaten in a couple of days and needed to get to the hospital in the next town over to see his sister before she passed. They took up a collection and were about to give the guy about $50. My brother is a police officer and has made me a sceptic of
people. I said I would take the money and follow him up the road to the convenience store. I would fill his car with gas and buy him a nice meal, just to make sure everything was on the up & up. Well he had car trouble about a block up the street, so I swung around to help. As I walked by the car to see what was up I noticed the gas gauge was full. I helped him look under the hood and he explained that he'd been having trouble when it over heated. He would just have to let it cool awhile. I said I needed to tell my family that I'd be a little longer than planned, so I would drive back to the church then come back to meet him. As I turned around and drove away all I saw was dust as he took off up the road.
Another of these amazing miracles !

(before you ask, we donated the money to Salvation Army)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to save a diabetic traveler - out of cash
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS