Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Size of MH when I get 70
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Size of MH when I get 70

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I said 5 years ago I would not drive a MH over 30 ft. when I got to be 70. I coming up on that so stop pulling my 5th wheel and bought a 29,3 with 3 slides B+ to drive. My eye are not as good, my driving is not as good. I see to many old boys who look like they are lost in the woods wiith the larger ones. Has other found out the same?

* This post was edited 02/02/13 11:53am by Supercharged *

2005 Chev 5.3 Supercharged 395HP 425 T hp. Two wheels on front, 2 on back. one seat, tint windows. front and rear bumpers, headlights, windows. Door on each side. Heater, floor mats, 6 Reese candy bars, junk behind seats, some dirt. Pulls so hard.

thgoodman

Where ever the wheels stop - Mesa, AZ for winter

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

70 1/2 here. So far, so good. Sorry to hear about your problems. Best wishes, just keep on keepin' on.

Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

being 70 is fun sometimes - I have left the wife a couple of times already at a rest stop. Takes forever to get turned around twice and get back haha...

Roy Ken

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm around 70 1/3 and the DW is a few years younger. Our MH is a Class C 24 footer with double queen beds and a full size temporary bed if needed for the grandkids. It's relatively painless to get ready for a trip with it and make/break camps with it. It has large tanks, generous storage, and due to it's small interior size it's easy to keep both warm and cool with the stock installed furnace and air conditioning systems, whether on hookups or not. We never were into big rigs or towed rigs so we're accustomed to the advantages and disadvantages of a small motorhome, but they're not for everyone.

You might find downsizing to be just the ticket. Good luck on getting it just right for you!

* This post was edited 02/02/13 12:18pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

ChooChooMan74

Tiverton, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to applaud you in admitting that you're not 20 any longer, but you're still young at hear. I saw an older couple the other day driving a larger class A. This thing was all beat up...not a corner or side has been missed. Even a basement door was broken off and replaced with some plywood.

Continue having fun, and enjoy!

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, Tuned By Green Diesel
2011 Rockwood Roo 21BH
Reese DC WDH, CIPA Door Mirrors
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2014 - 18 Camped, Winterized
Nights Reserved for 2015 - 0, but soon!

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is knowing when to stop driving. Just this week an 80 year old plowed through 4 people in the cross walk with lights flashing here in Fort Myers Beach, killed one and seriously injured the others. Claims he did not see them and once he did could not get the van stopped. Me thinks it is time for him to give it up.

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an individual thing. I'm 72 and don't have a problem, or so I think. I have friends who are in their late 70's and one in that is 82, and they still drive their over 38 footers. One lady we know is also 82 and she drives her 36 foot coach by herself from Washington to Yuma every year. She's safer than many drivers who are much younger.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

71 here and wife is a few months from 71. Still going strong and very alert but to be safe we keep our speeds down to 58-60 when towing. We can accept that our reflexes will naturally slow with age and as neither of us has ever had an at fault accident in our approx 55 years each of driving, we want to keep it that way. Only accidents we've had were: Got hit from behind while stopped at an intersection twice and wife got backed into in a store parking lot. I had one speeding ticket for 8 MPH over when I was 23 and wife got one for 10 over when she was 34 and that's it. Love our cheap insurance rates!

How long are we going to tow big? Yet to be determined! Stop towing at all or RVing? When they pry the steering wheel out of our cold dead hands perhaps...

OR When we don't feel we should be driving any more for a real reason like they don't make Hoverounds with V-8 engines and wide offroad knobby's anymore!

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be 75 in July of this year. I plan to celebrate my birthday while on an RV trip almost 1K miles from home in my 35' Bounder. I have NO plans to stop driving soon.

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:

The problem is knowing when to stop driving. Just this week an 80 year old plowed through 4 people in the cross walk with lights flashing here in Fort Myers Beach, killed one and seriously injured the others. Claims he did not see them and once he did could not get the van stopped. Me thinks it is time for him to give it up.
This is the problem I see out there, no one over 70 should think they can drive day in and day out a class A and be safe, that is why I kept the promise to myself to down size and keep it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Size of MH when I get 70
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS