Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Modified Sine Wave vs. Pure Sine Wave Invertor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modified Sine Wave vs. Pure Sine Wave Invertor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
moparcanuck

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all.

After buying a new (to me) MH recently, now looking at adding an inverter to be able to power some 110V goodies inside the MH without having to run the genset.

I am looking for a larger model in case I need to do some short term heavy duty use (ie, running the microwave for 2 minutes isn't really worth firing the genset if I can avoid it)

I know that pure sine wave is indeed better than modified sine wave, but I'm wondering HOW much better. I'm looking at around 2000 watts just to make sure I don't overload (highest realistic usage is 12-1500.) However, the costs are double or triple for the pure sine. I don't have any real super sensitive stuff, but don't want to damage anything if I plug my laptop in, or don't want to get fuzz and lines on my TV from dirty power.

Does anyone have any actual experience with these?

Also, does the genset provide pure sine wave? Everything seems to run fine off that.

Thanks.

1994 Newmar Kountry Star 34'

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MSW inverter runs everything in my MH including new LED TVs and Sat receivers. I considered adding a PSW inverter to run the motor/compressor in a home refer as that would make it 15% more efficient over running the motor on a MSW. Unless you are planning on putting in a home refer, you do not need a PSW and even then some will say you still do not have to have a PSW.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both types in my rig and most of our electrical equipment don't appear to know the difference with the exception of the microwave which performs quite poorly on the MSW power feed. Everything in our rig runs without issue when using our onboard Onan genny although it may not be providing a pure sine wave.

Rollnhome

Corner I-10 & I-8

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found it is more efficient to run the genset when using microwave or other heavy power users. Genset has to be run alot more than 2 mln to recharge batteries from 2 min microwave use. Kinda off topic sorry.

2008 40' Rolls Canardly towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

12thgenusa

Lakewood, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/13 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not quite on point to your question, but there are some good reasonably priced PSW inverters available. I debated the point also and went with this. I see the price has gone up a little since I bought mine a year ago. Good, clean reasonably priced power. See this test.

Dave & Gean

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7
2009 Cougar 245RKS
370 watts ET solar
Rogue 3024 MPPT controller
440 Ah battery bank
ProWatt 2000 inverter
100% LED lighting

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/13 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another issue here to consider is the amount of power it requires to operate a LARGE INVERTER. My 1500WATT PSW Inverter will draw around 150AMPS from my battery bank to operate at full load. If I only had a single 85-100AH battery installed it would only last about 15-20 minutes at this amount of load.

We always use the generator when allowed to run one to power up the big wattage 120VAC appliances. Most of our regular use for the 120VAC Appliances can be handled by our 600WATT Inverter which we have 120VAC extension cords installed at the Home entertainment Center location and the bedroom nite-stand location.

After burning out a couple of items (Electric blanket controller and box fan) I wouldn't recommend using the MSW Inverters. The price for the PSW Inverters is low enough these days to just go ahead and get them. My AIMS 600WATT PSW Inverter cost $149 and my AIMS PSW 1500WATT cost $350 a few years back. My opinion is "Why take the chance on your high dollar electronics". Of course that is just me yaking - others use the MSW Inverters and get away with it-not me...

Roy Ken

2oldman

North Platte

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don Rowe site Inverter FAQ
Inverters by Phred
inverter thread

MSW v. pure sine
Inverters and MW thread

MSHappyCampers

Columbus, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/13 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Modified Sine Wave inverters will FRY the controls on a heated mattress pad or electric blanket! Don't ask how I know that!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSW are generally much lower in cost but from time to time we get people posting about how they have Hum in the audio or the TV does not behave or other issues when using the MSW inverters...

There is, in fact, a long and growing list of things that may not work right on an MSW inverter.. Some things flat work differently (Microwaves, for example, often cook slower) some do not work at all (I have heard of a sat receiver not loosing signal lock) AM radios are .. hopeless as a general rule, TV's may have sparklies or do the hula on you. (Wavy picture) or have black "Hum bars" moving up or down the screen.

True sine.. the list of things that won't work is "Anything who's power needs are greater than the inverter's output" Which makes sense, of course.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bluebirdPT36

xxxxxxxxxx

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

answer to a question you did not ask. You need a least a 400 AH battery bank and even better a 600 AH bank to power a 2000 watt inverter properly. I am sure some will disagree.

IMO, MSW should mean modified square wave, not modified sine wave.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modified Sine Wave vs. Pure Sine Wave Invertor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS