Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: pop up canopy help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> pop up canopy help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
weavie

Hillsboro, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/13 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone make a canopy that doesn't pool water? We and our friends have lost more than one canopy due to a storm coming up and our canopy pools water which then bends and breaks the roof supports. If anyone knows of a canopy that won't hold water please, let me know.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/13 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you slope the canopy enough you shouldn't have that problem. We have had five Coleman popups over the years and never had a problem. Wind is more of an enemy.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/13 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This question would get better answers on the Folding Camper forum, but the only way for a "roll out" canopy (assuming you mean awning) not to sag and pool water is to support it in the middle with a pole. Since that is not very practical, the canopy would have to be let down during rain, or if you are there, just push it up in the middle when water starts to pool with a broom or some sort of pole so that the water can run off. Remember water runs downhill and if the canopy is sagging with water weight, the middle is "downhill" so that is where the water is going to go. Sharply sloping the canopy before leaving would help, but I would not leave with an awning open for very long. Wind can be worse than rain.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

winniman

muskoka

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I slope mine off to the side so the water runs down and sideways preventing it from getting caught behind the awning roller and pooling up. If you are at a campsite and it is raining heavy, just look around and you will see lots of awnings sloped to one side for this reason. good luck and happy camping.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's possible, He is talking about an easyup, or it appears so to me.

All I can say is, you need to pull it tight, and you may have to dump it occasionally during a rain.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

garmp1

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got ours from Gander Mt. and no problem. Love it! Been through some storms too! Worse case scenario, lower the side toward the incoming storm a notch or two. That should help.

Camping in a Sportsmobile. How much better can it get?

weavie

Hillsboro, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: I'm talking about a "pop up" type canopy that we put over out picnic table. Our camper awning is fine and doesn't pool water-we do slope it. We do "dump" water when it is raining but, at night this is not practical. I know we can't be the only ones that have this problem.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the clarification. If you have the easy up type of canopy you should not have that problem. There are three of the Walmart sold canopies in our camping group and we have not come close to having that problem. Walmart Canopy

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE work craft shows with a pop up canopy/tent . We put swimming pool " noodles " on the ribs , seems to work !

garmp1

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the one we have. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-Combo-Canopy&i=411204&aID=505K2&merchID=4006. The ones we found at Walmart did not say water proof or repellent. And for the few bucks more, we got the screen and sides. Well made, easy to erect and water proof.
As far as pooling, sounds to me the tarp isn't tight enough or you need another ridge strut down the center of each side to take the sag out. At this time I have no easy solution, except possibly a tight cord. But if you pull the cord too tight it might bow the sides. Hm. Food for thought.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> pop up canopy help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS