Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Guess they didn't need my money
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Guess they didn't need my money

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
tsetsaf

Full-Timer

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/13 11:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveling towards northern California along Hwy 101 we were planning on stopping into Coyote Valley RV Resort south of San Jose for a few days to week. The rates seemed high but the park is well rated and we always like to check out the "high end" resorts for a few days.

Realized we would be arriving relatively early to the park so we called ahead to make sure a site would be available. First response from the woman on the phone is, "there will be a $25 charge for arriving early". Me "Um, okay but do you have a site?" her, "Yes".

After the exchange the wife and I figured that maybe we read the vibe wrong and decided we would give them another shot. I mean really, it is a "luxury" resort and they charge premium prices maybe we just got the grouch.

Arrived at 12:15 and found the park to be very crowded with long termers. The grounds were nicely laid out and figured that we were going to be happy there for a couple days max. Pulled into the registration area and walked over to the office. In the site facing the office was a mid-80's fifth wheel, well kept but none the less a rig that is several decades old.

I entered and was greeted with a curt "is there something we can do for you?"

Me "Yes, I was hoping to get a site."

Her "What year is your rig?"

Me "2006. Does that matter for a site? I noticed some pretty old rigs just outside your door."

Her "When do you need the site?"

Me "Uh... Really? Today would be preferable" (I mean I brought the trailer and family along)

Her "For how long?"

Me "Not sure probably a few days to 1 week. What are your rates again?"

She then pulled out the rate card and went line by line "1 day $50 during the week $60 on weekends, 1 week $385 including tax, 1 month well you would have to apply..."

At this point the other woman behind the desk cut in and said "and you will not be able to get in here for a month, there is a waiting list of people ahead of you and you would have to go through the application process"

Me "Hmm. So can I pay for 4 weeks at your weekly rate and not go through the waiting list and application process?" (With her response I had decided that there was no way in a very warm place that we would be staying at this place; now it was play time)

Second lady "well, yes, I guess you could but no wait that would be a month so you would have to apply."

Me "Okay, so what do I need to do to apply?"

Second lady "(flustered) well, well you wouldn't get in. There are 15 people way ahead of you in line waiting."

Me "Wow you both have been so helpful and lovely. I can see you are very busy and do not need any additional revenue. Have a great day."

I think that conclusion and then me leaving was the first time it had ever happened to them because the looks on their faces were priceless.

To sum it up, Coyote Valley RV Park in San Jose California does not need any additional revenue. I decided to take the old adage I have read on here many times "that is what your wheels are for, just keep on rolling down the road". Ended up in a lovely spot for 1/2 the price.

'06 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD 6spd Manual SB SRW - Pullrite SG - Ride Rite Airbags - Rickson 19.5 Steelies 150K and going strong
2014 Premier Elite 44' Fifth Wheel... calm down it is within the weight limits of my truck.
RV Park and Campground Directory

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/13 01:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its sad that many times a parks staff can ruin the experience. I noticed their website has a survey, guest evaluation form. I would make my opinions well know. Funny, when I looked at their evaluation form, the default responce for all questions is "excellent"! Lol. Found that a bit pretentious! By the way "Welcome to California"!

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/13 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually appreciate the story.

If someone gives us great service, tell the world. If someone does us wrong, do the same. Those who read can form their own opinions.

2013 F350 SRW 4X4 6.2L
2014 Work & Play 30WRS

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you post it on RV Park Reviews?

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

If someone gives us great service, tell the world. If someone does us wrong, do the same. Those who read can form their own opinions.

X2

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

Poppy & Nana

Upstate New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/13 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

lawnspecialties wrote:

X2

I for another have to thank the OP!

There is an "RV PARK" in Carisle that treated DH and I the same way last fall.....however since they had our money (had to have a heft deposit)..we "squeezed" into our site and stayed!

Not this year.....we will boon dock near the fairgrounds for next to nothing, attend the car show, not have to drive to/from the event and never return to Western RV campground.....

So OP thanks for letting us know of your "experience"!

Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

tomkaren13

West Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/13 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NanciL wrote:

I am kind of wondering; why did you stop there in the first place ??

Sounds to me like you enjoyed frustrating the admittance folks

Jack L

No sounds like he is just letting us curious folks the real story. Thanks for posting.

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there done that with these "I am doing you a favor people". Tell me yes or no and how much. I'll make the final decision.

belfert

Shoreview, MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/13 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California considers long term RVers the same as renters. Campgrounds have to go through an eviction process the same as house or apartment renters to get rid of an unwanted tenant.

This would not be the first time we've heard of campgrounds in California having lengthy applications for monthly stays. Campgrounds want to be sure you aren't going to cause trouble and cost them a lot of money to get rid of you.

PyrateSilly

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/13 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you need to go take a reading comprehenssion class.
1 - He obviously had a reservation.
2 - He called to see if it was ok to come in a few hours early.
3 - They were rude on the phone with that request
4 - He obviously saw rigs that were several decades old
5 - He tried to check in and they were rude again
6 - They asked about his rigs age for just a few days stay (which he already had a reservation for)
7 - They did not seem to want to check him in for his RESERVATION
8 - As a consequence he left without staying.
We would have done the same thing and have done the same thing with rude people. They obviously did not want to work to check him in so he helped by leaving.

Thom, Gascap and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale 40ft 300hp RV.
Our blogged repairs and travels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Guess they didn't need my money
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS