Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Scary numbers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Scary numbers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did I do this? For no particular reason I went on a couple of used vehicle sites to gate a rough idea of what the truck is worth these days. Then I went on a RV site to see what the trailer is worth.

Big mistake.

The truck is worth about $20K. The trailer, $30K. Bought the both as a used package late 2006 for $80K. Both were only 6 months old. Barely used. Had them 6 years now & taken $30K depreciation. $5K per year.

We get serious use out of our unit at about 150 nights a year, every year but that still comes down to $33 per night use depreciation, the same as the average CG fee.

No, there are no plans to sell but it got me wondering what is the depreciation per night for those who only get a few weeks use per year out of their rigs?

Depressing.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with boats, RV depreciation doesn't really matter does it?

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't thing most folks are concerned with that. I went into RVing as a choice of leisure time. I did not hope to recoup the cost but look at it as the cost of the choice I made. Others choose other routes with similar costs and outlooks.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Why did I do this? For no particular reason I went on a couple of used vehicle sites to gate a rough idea of what the truck is worth these days. Then I went on a RV site to see what the trailer is worth.

Big mistake.

The truck is worth about $20K. The trailer, $30K. Bought the both as a used package late 2006 for $80K. Both were only 6 months old. Barely used. Had them 6 years now & taken $30K depreciation. $5K per year.

We get serious use out of our unit at about 150 nights a year, every year but that still comes down to $33 per night use depreciation, the same as the average CG fee.

No, there are no plans to sell but it got me wondering what is the depreciation per night for those who only get a few weeks use per year out of their rigs?

Depressing.
Did you buy them as a investment?

2005 Chev 5.3 Supercharged 395HP 425 T hp. Two wheels on front, 2 on back. one seat, tint windows. front and rear bumpers, headlights, windows. Door on each side. Heater, floor mats, 6 Reese candy bars, junk behind seats, some dirt. Pulls so hard.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't give a lot of thought , it will start to slow down so just enjoy and don't give it any thought. Can't get much of a hotel room for $60 (park and depreceation), and then there is food!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 275,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't matter if you use the trailer every day or not at all; the depreciation is the same.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paid about the same for our current TV & rig a few years back but never waste time fretting about depreciation. One thing for sure, you have to pay to play if you want to enjoy the RVing lifestyle. Our truck is a dedicated tow vehicle and just sits in the garage when not pulling our TT around, thankfully we have traveled nearly 50K miles with our current set-up and hit the road every chance we get. For some it's a waste of money, but we have so many wonderful memories of trips with our kids, plus there are many great trips ahead for just my DW and I since our kids are getting older and have their own activities to attend. We're (just the two of us) heading south for a week this coming holiday weekend and we get to enjoy the activities (hot spring mineral baths, hiking, museums, local cuisine, bird/wildlife viewing etc.) we prefer. Depreciation can be a bugger, but we are having too much fun to care.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Big mistake.

Depressing.

I think the day will come when some of us will wish our $80K or what ever the number had been put in our retirement accounts and been growing instead of approaching zero and leading to spending major $$$ to keep up the toys.

We are getting ready to do the north east section of the USA next. Just the fuel savings along will pay for the motels. We plan to keep the RV (MH in our case since it is not worth a lot of cash but is in good condition) but because of the math you did so well supports our math we will not ever own a RV again if this one dies hard for any reason.

It really is not just the toy expense that concerns me so as a baby boomer. SS is going to be means tested sooner than later, most all forms of retirement checks will be reduced due to the lack of funding especially if state or federal funded. If retirement income does not last as long as we do RV'ing may be the last thing on our minds.

It short being in business it is the increasing unknown financial picture that is decreasing the willingness to spend any cash. And that was before countries started current rush to devalue their currencies. Who knows who will win in a global currency war?

Some can joke about the heavy direct and indirect cost of RV'ing but even more can not. Those who can take a 50% hit on their total retirement income and still joke about the subject are going to be OK I expect. I am not one of them.

We all know the hit is coming but will 'feel' OK as long as the band keeps playing. It is that cold wet 'feel' after the lights goes out at concerns me most.

Where is that wig and dress?

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought ours used, so not such a huge depreciation hit. However, in my humble opinion, the fun we've had and the memories we've made are priceless.
We've had some awesome times with friends, and I know our grandkids have memories that will last a lifetime. HOw do you put a price on things like that?

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worth every penny!!

Carl
2013 F250 6.2
2011 Jayco 256RKS
Co-pilot-Sharon
Navigators-Missy, and Petey (chihuahuas)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Scary numbers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS