Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: I just don't get it
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I just don't get it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next
We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do people afford or spend so much money on this hobby. DW and I are almost 40 and we have a 19 year popuup. I make a great income but with 3 kids and saving for retirement, high housing costs in a HCOLA, and getting ready for college, how do people go out and but $60K diesel trucks and $40K toyhaulers and still have cash left over to insure, maintain, and store the trailers or motorhomes.

We drive a 6 year old minivan that can tow a nice popup and not much more. A 3/4 ton Suburban is just not economical or practical. Almost everyone on this forum says that a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV is not enough and when doing the math I agree with them.

Maybe auto makers should come out with a 3/4 ton diesel minvan with 3,000 pounds of payload capacity for an MSRP of less than $30K!

1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2007 Honda Odyssey
2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll See wrote:

How do people afford or spend so much money on this hobby. DW and I are almost 40 and we have a 19 year popuup. I make a great income but with 3 kids and saving for retirement, high housing costs in a HCOLA, and getting ready for college, how do people go out and but $60K diesel trucks and $40K toyhaulers and still have cash left over to insure, maintain, and store the trailers or motorhomes.

We drive a 6 year old minivan that can tow a nice popup and not much more. A 3/4 ton Suburban is just not economical or practical. Almost everyone on this forum says that a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV is not enough and when doing the math I agree with them.

Maybe auto makers should come out with a 3/4 ton diesel minvan with 3,000 pounds of payload capacity for an MSRP of less than $30K!
Credit card, sleeping pills, blood presure pills black out shades, tums, beer.

2005 Chev 5.3 Supercharged 395HP 425 T hp. Two wheels on front, 2 on back. one seat, tint windows. front and rear bumpers, headlights, windows. Door on each side. Heater, floor mats, 6 Reese candy bars, junk behind seats, some dirt. Pulls so hard.

Gruffy

monominto mb ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When your almost 70 and the kids are no longer subsidized, perhaps you too can afford to RV.

Not many folks are driving a diesel pusher at 40 ....

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Burlington, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people can't afford it. They just have a good banker. Just keep it in perspective and remember there are many people out there with a lot less than you, and they're wondering how you can afford what you have. Enjoy it.

2008 Ford, F-350, CC, 6.4 PSD
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoy what you have and know you are comfortable with YOUR situation.Others live with what they are comfortable and that may be VERY different than what you are comfortable with.

BTW I do understand and I make a very good living but live in So. Cal. where housing is pricey. We all make choices though and then roll with them.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait till kids are moved out, all bills paid and retired.

Dan and Nickie

SAR Tracker

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We decided early on not to have kids. Therefore, I retired 2 years ago at 56, after paying cash for the $25000 toyhauler, that got pulled with a 1/2 ton truck.

The 3/4 ton will be paid off next year, the house the year after that. Hmmmm.... maybe a diesel pusher is in our future!

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

MR MAC

BOSTON MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/13 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp with a 30+ ft TT & a F250 V10, just me and the old girl now. When I see a Young couple pull in with a pop-up and kids it reminds me of all tHe happy times I camped with my four kida, dog & a great mother-inlaw, Have fun with you have, I'm retired now with time, your time will come. Every Aug I take all six grand kids for wk in Maine (no parents allowed) age 5 to 18 the word "NO" is not used.

ROBERT L MC INTYRE

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started when we were young and never overextended ourselves. We made a decision many years ago to stay in our small older house rather than upgrade to a bigger better newer house we couldn't afford. That left us more money to buy the toys we still enjoy today.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/13 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSGTRETIREDCSP wrote:

Some people can't afford it. They just have a good banker. Just keep it in perspective and remember there are many people out there with a lot less than you, and they're wondering how you can afford what you have. Enjoy it.

Like many others, I could "afford" it and get a loan it's just that it would compromise saving for other items. RV loan rates are less that 5% so it has never been more affordable, other than gas prices. It's one thing spending $25K on a nice TT, its another thoing dropping $50K on a truck rather than $25K on a sensible other vehicle.

However, it would be a lot of fun driving around in a $60K SRW diesel 1-ton truck with a lift if I didn't have to worry about getting into city parking garages.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I just don't get it
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS