Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Solo Camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Solo Camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
SamCol

Carmel Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/13 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to camp by myself all the time but with things as they are now and being older I wonder how smart it is if there is no one else at the camp ground? I usualy stay at forestry camp grounds. Any thoughts?

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/13 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I considered when driving to Alaska is that the "Coast Guard" requires boaters to have a flare gun. I picked up one at K-Mart. Figured it would deter any bear if I had no other choice as I heard you can not take a gun into Canada without certain requirements being met.

A fire extinguisher will upset any robber. IT will shoot 15 feet, blind them, and you can hit them over the head with it too!

The death penalty was a good thing, back in the 60's people feared it and the cops. THey would not run from the cops because the cops had a gun and would shoot people for running. Today they can not just shoot a person for running, to many forms to fill out even if they kill a guy with a huge rap sheet that is fighting with them or has a knife and fighting with them.

Fred.

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/13 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More crime...or just more media and electronic means to report it rapidly ?

2010 Flagstaff 26RLS
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
2006 Toyota Tundra D/C (sold)
The whole family,
Cold ones in the cooler, good times ahead.

Beartoo

Perham MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/13 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seeing where you live, I do not think it is a wise move. Maybe if you where in a hard side camper, but even then, safety in numbers. Sorry but not for me.
Good Luck

DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/13 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a big can of wasp spray. For those pesky wasps!!

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/13 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've camped alone for over 20 years, although not in a tent any more. Sometimes alone is just solo in a campground full of people. Sometimes alone is OUT THERE, either dispersed or in any otherwise-deserted campground. I've had very few bad experiences and none where I came to any harm. I have left a couple of times, either not camping there at all because of a gut feeling or evidence like graffiti or broken glass or else leaving sooner than planned due to unpleasant neighbors or animals or whatever.

I've found that trouble is more likely if you are camped closer to towns. Thefts, vandalism, noise of locals driving around a camp area at night. If you go out away from towns/people things are better.

There are many areas in the southern end of the Sierra, not too far from you, which are quite remote if you want that sort of experience.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/13 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO Safety is a state of mind. As if you where going anyplace, Be aware of your surroundings, Do you have cell signal, Is there a light you can park near and can you get out if you need to. You can get bear spray or other safety device you feel comfortable with. Let people no where you will be and stay in touch. Don't stay anywhere you don't feel safe. Good luck with what ever you chose to do.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/13 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't be much different than a couple (man & wife, etc) camping in the same place. One must be alert, be conscious of your surroundings....if it feels wrong, go somewhere else.

Yep, a flare gun should scare a bear or a robber, but in the forests of the southwest/west, more than likely you'd have a wildfire to mess up your night/day/week.

Perhaps a Blast from a Boating AirHorn would ward off bears, cougars & robbers. Alert others of your need for Help.

We carry a small AirHorn when hiking & keep in the the Scamp.

Always reassuring to have a door to lock when going to bed, but we have camped in a tent (never solo), but we did a few nights in a tent along the Pacific Coast Highway a few years ago. Never in an empty campground. Half Moon Bay, San Semeon SP & Gaviota State Park never had any fear of anything.

Someone resently was asking about soloing with a dog in a small TT..... LINK.

I have used the back of my Topper or Camper Shell to sleep in, enjoyed it better than a tent. No head room, but could use the tent for dressing, eating, lounging, etc. pickup or van for sleep.

Ford F-150 with A.R.E Camper Shell, Our RV for our Trip to Chaco Canyon area last April/May.

There were many in tents, not sure if any were solo. A few were solo in camper shells, etc.

* This post was edited 02/09/13 05:20pm by DesertHawk *

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

SamCol

Carmel Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/13 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should have changed my home town on profile. I camp and fish alot in the Trinity, Dunsmuir, McCloud and Lassen areas and the eastern sierras. These are all getting to be problem areas. In the past and now I have always had my own forms of protection. Would hate to end up in jail for protecting myself. Just not much fun to have to worry about bad things happening when you are trying to enjoy yurself. Times are changing and not for the good. Thinking about staying in hotels, motels unless I go with friends.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/13 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SamCol wrote:

........... I camp and fish alot in the Trinity, Dunsmuir, McCloud and Lassen areas and the eastern sierras. These are all getting to be problem areas..............

I sure am glad I haven't heard what you heard about these areas. Don't know of any problems in my back yard. Or maybe you're just saying this to keep our secret fishing areas to ourselves. That's it. Your secret is safe with me.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Solo Camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: