Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Storing diesel pusher for over 3 months
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Storing diesel pusher for over 3 months

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/13 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We store our mh from November thru mid May. I have it connected to a 30amp outlet and I turn my inverter "off" by pushing the Inverter on/off button. The 30amps easily keeps all my batteries charged...however, my built-in charger only charges the house batteries so I had to buy and install a device called a Trik-L-Start that connects the house batteries to the chassis batteries and keep all six batteries fully charged. My house batteries (4-6v) require that I check and add water every couple of months. The chassis batteries (2-12v)re sealed and do not require any maintenance at all. I usually keep a couple of overhead lights on in the coach but turn off the 12v switch by the entry door. This allows me to flip that switch to turn on/off those lights. I leave both battery switches "on" in the battery compartment.

For your information... the "inverter" inverts 12vdc to 120vac. While in storage your coach doesn't need 120v so if you have an "inverter" button on your control panel....turn it "off".

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Snomas

Golden, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/13 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a solar panel and check batteries (both chassis and coach) monthly. Add water and/or additional charge as necessary. I also drive my Coach about 15 mi to exercise every 4-6 weeks.

2002 DutchStar 350 Cummins/Spartan Chassis, 2012 Ford Explorer

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/13 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have Solar Panels and live in SNOW country, you will have to keep the snow off if you want them to keep the batteries charged. As stated earlier, If you have a three stage battery charger in your converter or an Inverter with a three stage battery charger, keep it plugged in.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2005 Ford Focus Automatic Station Wagon
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plug it in to maintain the house batteries. This may not maintain the chassis battery depending upon how it's set up and there are various options for this. Most likely your charger is at least an adequate 3 stage unit.

You'll also need to winterize the rig for freezing temps - VERY IMPORTANT.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Tixie

Terre Haute, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your new purchase. Here is what I do. My diesel pusher has been in indoor storage (not heated) since November. While in storage, I disconnect the battery bank from the coach and I do not connect the RV to any other power source. What I will do is take the RV out for a run on the highway once a month to charge the batteries and put other coach systems and the Cummins through their paces. I try to run for a minimum of an hour. This has worked well for me and the batteries do just fine. Of note, I do have AGM batteries which may offer a few advantages over the conventional types.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Storing diesel pusher for over 3 months
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS