Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Ways to feel more secure while sleeping out on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ways to feel more secure while sleeping out on the road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
aaron7

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/13 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our major concerns about our foray into the RV world is feeling safe when we're asleep or parked.

We're planning on purchasing a Chevy G20-based Class C.

I already plan on replacing the door lock pulls with straight ones so they can't be popped!

But what about the side door? Besides a big ugly padlock or something, what can be done?

Has anyone here had a problem like this in the past? Any advice?

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have not had the problem as we have never worried about being safe.
If you are planning to boon dock or camp in places out of the way then maybe so, but if you are staying in campgrounds or RV parks they are quite secure.
When we have boondocked we have found other RV'ers and circled the wagons for security, but no problems.

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we don't' feel safe we move on.

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First,is to try and stay the night in a campground or some other place where you are surrounded by other RVers.There is safety in numbers.I have never felt unsafe staying in a campground. I wouldn't go to extremes with your locks because if you have a fire,you need to be able to get out quickly.Of course,if you will be boondocking,there is always the question of carrying a weapon which you may or may not be comfortable with.

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contrary to what Ka Ron says (above) NO place is "quite secure". You must take steps to protect YOURSELF, as law enforcement may be miles away. Remember the old saying "when seconds count, help is just minutes away".

Michael in MN

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a C:

1. You'll be safer than the people camping in the tent in the site next to yours.

2. If you really get in a jamb, you can start the RV and take off without leaving your sleeping quarters.

But - I don't loose much sleep over safety in a campground, unless its in Grizzly country and I'm in a tent.

-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2011 Ford F150 EgoBoost

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/13 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When going to FL, we overnight at Walmarts or Cracker Barrels. We've never had a problem.

That said, we always scope the place out. If I get any kind of an off feeling in my gut, we move on. There may not be anything to justify the feeling, but my thought process is better safe than sorry.
I always go with my gut, and it has not led me astray yet.

We have a Class A and only have the entrance door. We lock both locks. When we first started, I had a 16 yr old dog and I had DH cut a board to lay over the steps, so he didn't fall down them.

After the fact, I saw someone mention putting a board down over the steps at night as an added saftey measure. I guess the theory is that it would at a minimum slow down someone trying to come up the steps.

When we "park" versus camp, I sleep in my clothes. I feel a little less vulnerable doing that. We do take our 9 y/o grandson along at times, and he sleeps on the sofa. I told him that he is to NEVER open the door and if he hears anything at all, to come and get me and pap.

I do sleep better in a CG. But when going to a destination, we just park to get sleep and then move on. I can't see paying for a CG for a few hours.

I think common sense applies. And while I don't think I'm paranoid, I do realize that anything can happen to anyone, at any place. I think you are at higher risk when you let your guard down and think bad things won't happen to me.

I am a bit more cautious when the GS was with us. However, one night - while we were in a CG - He left out a blood curdling scream in the middle of the night. I found out how fast adrenalin can make this overweight old lady with a bad back, fly out of bed and through the MH. I left pappy in the dust. LOL It's funny now, but not at the time.

He had a nightmare - and was sleep walking and trying to get out the door. Glad I had that board down or he could have fallen down the steps, With both locks engaged, he couldn't get the door open in his sleep.

Just a side note - nothing to do with original post, but might be noteworthy for folks with kids or GK's.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are usually other RVs close by when we park for the night.
We've always manged to find an RV campground except on one trip.
Sometimes travel time etc doesn't quite work out especially if something intriguing appears down the road.
A Flyin J etc were there are Truckers in and out all night long might give you peace of mind if you can tolerate the calls that their shower is now ready every few minutes.
Not worried about anybody breaking in the RV but the Towed and mischief is a concern sometimes.
A burglar alarm with remote or cell notification from car has been on the list but I've never got there.
Like all things pick the situation that feels comfortable to you and don't worry too much.

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with staying where you feel safe. A few things you can do:
Have your cell phone with you at night
Get a dog that will bark. If you do not have a dog, put put big bowls and get a partially chewed bone from someone that has one and put it outside.
There are devices that you can put on doors that will alarm if the door is moved

However, campgrounds are generally safe places. People are very close together and they can hear if something happens. I worry more at home, not because it is in a bad neighborhood, but because we have enough land that the neighbors would not know if there was a problem.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2oldman

Vegas, baby

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/13 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aaron7 wrote:

I already plan on replacing the door lock pulls with straight ones so they can't be popped!
Sorry to burst your bubble but RV's are incredibly easy to break into.

Seriously, nobody wants to break in and rob or molest you anyway. Don't sweat it.

Safety post

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ways to feel more secure while sleeping out on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS