Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Opinions On GPS Unit Needed Please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Opinions On GPS Unit Needed Please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS unit to a more RV/Truck friendly unit. I've found a model and I'd like to get some feedback on this particular model:

Garmin nuvi 465LMT 4.3-Inch Trucking GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map and Traffic

Thank you for any help!

WoodGlue

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Wood, since you are pulling a travel trailer, you should not need a RV/Truck specific unit. Height is the main reason for a RV/Truck GPS and you are not concerned about that. Garmin is a good choice, i would look at their website and check features on various ones.

Jim

prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's ok with the OP let's keep the thread going, I would like to hear from others about trucking/rv GPS that specifically alert or direct one away from low overpass or tight turns etc. Thanks.

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

prairie camper wrote:

If it's ok with the OP let's keep the thread going, I would like to hear from others about trucking/rv GPS that specifically alert or direct one away from low overpass or tight turns etc. Thanks.

It's ok by me to keep this thread going! I'm not so worried about low bridges, but things like tight turns, narrow streets and other things truckers have to worry about. I'm also interested in how well the Bluetooth Handsfree Calling works.

Thanks,

WoodGlue

MSHappyCampers

Columbus, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 465T last year. I loved the bright screen display that could be seen in just about any light condition. It went bad while we were on a trip out west. I decided to try the Rand McNally RVND7710. As has been stated so many times, the display is awful, but we found it has many more features than the 465T, so we decided to keep it. There's an issue right now with the low-clearance warning but they are working to correct that with the next software update.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT

Miles Away

Lebanon, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2011 I purchased the Rand McNally GPS and it is one of the best I have ever used. Unfortunately the screen is not very bright and it is hard to see in the daylight without a sun-shade. Recently Rand McNally came out with a new model that is reportedly much brighter. I haven't seen one in person yet, but check it out, you will like the RV and campground features.

M & M On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Hudsoner

Hudson

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have an Android tablet with a GPS feature, you might consider Copilot Life Premium. Copilot has a RV stting that works pretty good. I resently used it in my motorhome for atrip from Wisconsin to Florida and back. It worked great and is cheap (around $10)

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the 465 have used it for years, all Garmin's have campgrounds in them just look under hotels. The 465 in truck mode will tell you in advance about grades, sharp turns and narrow bridges etc.

They have a new (Jan 2013) Dezl 7 inch model that just came out and it has great reviews.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
182 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 465T and like it mostly. The problem occurs when you program a route using Basecamp and try to load it onto the 465T. If you have the GPS in "Truck" mode and the route you've created and loaded goes over non-truck approved roads the 465T will not allow you to use that route. It will insist on routing you on "Truck" approved roads. A real pain. You have to change it to "Auto" mode and that pretty much negates the advantages.

The next GPS I get will probably be one of the DEZL models that you use an "RV" mode.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TOMMY47

MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a Rand Mcnally 7715, specifically for RVs. The only store that has it is Walmart for $300. However, you can get it on ebay for $200-220. Have not had a chance to use it yet as I am out of the country. Seems to have everything an RVer needs. Also has a car moode for use without the RV.
If you go to ebay.
Search for Rand Mcnally 7715, specifically. Last I checked. they had about a dozen available. MAKE SURE IT'S A NEW, NOT USED, ONE.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Opinions On GPS Unit Needed Please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS