Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Credit Card to use when traveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Credit Card to use when traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Flinx777

Murrieta

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're gonna head out full-time in 1 month (can't wait!). I've got a discover card that gets lousy points and most camp grounds won't take discover anyways. I have a visa but it's tied to my banking account, so I get no points there either. Since we're going to be easily spending $1K+ a month on campgrounds, I figure I might as well get some type of points that are good for something. Curious what the community would recommend for a good credit card that both is widely accepted at most campgrounds and gets good points. I'm not worried about the APR per se since I pay our CC's off each month, but I'd like to get something that will benefit us.

2000 Ford 350 DRW 7.3L Turbo Diesel, 4 speed automatic, 4.10 rear end, limited-slip differential. Banks Power & Brakes, B&W Hitch
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 34pht

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our visa flex perks travel card is the one we use the most. Pay everything we can on it, including utility bills, insurance etc. last year that gave us over $2000 in airline tickets. No restrictions on tickets, book them through Travelocity. If you don't want airline tickets, you can use the points on a variety of merchandise, hotel car rental etc.

And for gas, penfed visa gas card. You get a 5% credit at the end of the month on fuel purchases that is credited BEFORE they bill you. No limit on daily, monthly or annual fuel purchases that I have seen.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

Trackrig

MH now parked in Phoenix, AZ / we're in Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're on the west coast and fly, I'd get Alaska Airline's Bank of America card. If not, you might look at American Express. Besides their point system, Costco only accepts Amex and a debit card.

As a side note, you should have at least 2 - 3 cards for two reasons. If you loose one and when the dam_ credit card company locks up your credit card because you have to swipte it more than once to fill up the fuel tank (mine is over $400) because you're not in your home state. Going through Canada it got so bad that when I got in cell range, I'd call the CC company, tell them I was about to get fuel, and then make them stay on the line as I had to swipe it four times to fill the tank. Each time they would tell me that they had put the propper notes in my file so it wouldn't get locked up again, but it would get locked each time if I didn't call them first. Then I'd have to sit there blocking the fuel pumps while it took them ten minutes to unlock it. And Canada is foreign country, if anyone is using your card there, it must be stolen..............

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Rollnhome

Corner I-10 & I-8

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1K a month is alot for campgrounds. I use cards based on what I'm buying some give better deals on fuel or air miles, etc.

Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Flinx777

Murrieta

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollnhome wrote:

1K a month is alot for campgrounds. I use cards based on what I'm buying some give better deals on fuel or air miles, etc.

$1K is a lot for campgrounds each month? I guess I'm so used to getting hammered on cost here in So Cal when I go camping, but I'm hoping that you're right once we get out of So Cal. What type of averages do you see around the U.S. while camping on a monthly basis?

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get a PenFed credit union Visa card. In addition to the 1 and 2 percent rebates you get on common items, you get a 5% rebate on gas and diesel fuel prices if you use the card at the pump. That 20 plus cents sure adds up when filling a 50 gal tank traveling cross country.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
www.rv2go.us
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/13 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all campgrounds take a credit or debit card, so have some cash also, just in case you need it.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/13 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

And for gas, penfed visa gas card. You get a 5% credit at the end of the month on fuel purchases that is credited BEFORE they bill you. No limit on daily, monthly or annual fuel purchases that I have seen.
And if you have the Pen Fed Rewards card you get 5 points on fuel purchases and 3 points on grocery purchases. And the 5 points and 3 points work out the same as 5% and 3% which you can use to purchase goods on their rewards web site, or Visa cash cards, or big box store gift cards.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/13 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 on the PenFed VISA rewards credit card: 5% off on all fuel when paid for at the pump, 3% off on all groceries, 1% off on everything else. We use it as much as possible for all types of purchases all year-round whether at home or camping.

We cash in the points once a year for a prepaid VISA card from PenFed that we can use to purchase anything where a regular VISA credit card is accepted. The prepaid VISA card has hundreds of dollars loaded into it after one year of using the PenFed VISA rewards credit card as much as possible for all of our routine purchases. A good time to cash in the points is in the fall so you can use the reward points prepaid card for Christmas shopping.

At today's fuel prices 5% off amounts to getting around 15 cents to 25 cents off every gallon of RV fuel everywhere. We also find that just about every RV park accepts a VISA credit card.

For the viewpoint of stability and credibility, I believe that Pentagon Federal is the 2nd largest credit union in the U.S..

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been fulltiming going on eight years and use Discover daily. Not sure who told you most campgrounds don't accept Discover, but we use ours. We also have a Cabela's Visa and between the two, we have it covered. Both give points and have special promotions for specific purchases. Discover points can now be spent at Amazon and we did our Christmas shopping using those points.

I would suggest when you finally take off that you call your credit card companies and let them know you are traveling. Otherwise, you may find them denied. It happens occasionally.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scotties, Butterscotch & Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2003 Sport Trac Toad
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Credit Card to use when traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts