Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: How young is too young?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How young is too young?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
livelylittlecampers

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are expecting a new baby at the end of March. We also have four year old twins . I am itching to get out in the travel trailer this spring but I'm just wondering if that would be a big mistake with an infant. For now, I booked our first trip in July when the baby will be about three months old. I'm wondering if there are any brave souls out there who have camped with infants this young?? And if so, how did it go???

Lively Little Campers

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Yes I know a couple that went out boondocking with a 2 month old, and she even rode around on the ATV a bit, but not to much strain just after having the baby. Steps can be "Fun" for the first few days, then it all gets pretty easy.

The baby gets stronger in a couple of weeks, and is not as delicate. A month is plenty old enough, but they will not start sleeping through the nights for about 3-4 months.

You are not planning on driving clear across the state or something are you? It will be nice to get out of the house by then anyway, so I vote to go for it.

Fred.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/13 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our son tent camping when he was three months old.

We stayed in the same site where he was conceived 12 months before!!! He turned 30 years old yesterday, so I guess we can expose the “secret.”

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You most certainly can camp with infants. Our kids have been camping since they were born. Three "rules" I feel are important:

1. Mom and Dad need to make a schedule of who is watching the kid(s). Don't pass this off to friends - a parent needs to keep an eye on them at all times. Try to be fair with who's watching. Mom and Dad both can use some time hanging by the fire with just other adults. Avoid trading entire days or nights. Mom and Dad should try to break up the days and nights.

2. Friends may enjoy hanging with your kids - for a while. Try to keep an eye open for when your friends may be getting tired of Johnny jumping on them.

3. The sound of a crying baby CARRIES across a campground! A few times when our kids were infants wife and myself traded off napping in the truck with the crying baby. You may get used to the crying, but other people at a campground won't enjoy it.

Remember that when you are camping with your kids, they will want to do stuff. Be ready to NOT nap in the afternoon at your campsite. Grab a soccer ball, a kite, a bug net, a basketball, go for a walk/hike. Be ready to play, and have fun! It goes by very quickly.

My kids are older teenagers now. Now I have time to take that 2pm nap under the awning. Sometimes I miss the little kids running around... sometimes!

Kip81

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our daughter camping at 4 months it snowed the whole trip but it was still fun. She is 2 now and loves camping.

livelylittlecampers

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the wisdom and humor---just what I was looking for! Dog Folks-- did you ever tell the campground owners this secret! They would probably love to know....

Tvov--good set of rules there!

danpreszler

North Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/13 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our daughter with us as an infant in a pick-up camper. She was quite content to sleep in a baby bath tub on the table below us. It actually appeared that she enjoyed being together.

Dan & Karen Preszler
Bismarck, ND
2007 Leisure Travel Free Spirit LSS

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The baby will be ready before DW. Congratulations and enjoy!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/13 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

livelylittlecampers wrote:

Thanks for the wisdom and humor---just what I was looking for! Dog Folks-- did you ever tell the campground owners this secret! They would probably love to know....

Tvov--good set of rules there!

I should have, but since that long ago time, the campground has been purchased and is now run by a contractor to the State Of Florida.

We were there again a few years ago and there has been an improvement from the old days.

We did look at the infamous site while we were there! It hasn't changed.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/13 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kids are very resilient.

Biggest question......is the DW as excited about going camping with an newborn & TWO (2) four year olds????

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How young is too young?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts