Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Fuel Cost Stability-Tank half full?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fuel Cost Stability-Tank half full?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/13 03:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The moves in fuel cost is early this year, but why? Many thought that we were assured of government watching specultors bet the prices move either up or down to gain fast money. Then when you least expected it to go up, as it did over 50 cents US,BAM here we are at Historical highs, dropping values of RV's and dampening our wonderlust. So, how does one conclude it's nothing new,and just pay the cost and move on? Or, can we do anything to drop the prices? Let's remember the price is calculated by consumption, and that's where we can make a major move. What if we never filled up, but stopped at a half or three quarter full tank. That is not what we usualy do, and the consumption,then would drop to 50 to 75 % of what it is now causing a backup in the supply chain, a spike in inventory, and a DROP in speculation, and PRICE at the pump, plus more MPG in every vehicle on the road. COULD THIS BE DONE? DO WE HAVE THE POWER OR NOT? Well maybe not on a long trip, but day to day when we drive past fuel stations,it would be easy, as that's where most of the consumption occurs anyway. IS THIS A HALF --- IDEA OR....

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/13 03:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds to me like the old 'Don't buy gas on Tuesday' if no one buys gas on Tuesday the oil companies will be flooded with gas and forced to drop the prices.
You would just buy gas the next day....
I don't see how buying half a tank would really do anything, you'd just stop more often. JMO.
But, it's a good thought.

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/13 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Roads and Routes

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

BuckBarker

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/13 03:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078

Currently at Gilbert Lake SP, Laurens, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/13 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That idea would work great... If we also only drove half as many miles. Otherwise, it does nothing for supply and demand. We'll still use the same amount of fuel, and have to stop twice as often to buy it, likely costing us a bit more in lost mileage.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/13 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never realized that the 5 gallons of gasoline and 5 gallons of diesel that I keep in my barn was driving up the cost of fuel. OMG no wonder propane costs so much, I have 500 gallons of it sitting around. Maybe I should start heating my home with those barbeque tanks.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/13 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trop-a-cal wrote:

...IS THIS A HALF --- IDEA ...
Yes, it is.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/13 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing has changed in the last 5 years to make oil cheaper in the long run; why would you expect gas prices to go down? Keep on doing what you've always done and expecting a different outcome - sounds like the definition of insanity to me.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/13 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trop-a-cal wrote:

...Let's remember the price is calculated by consumption, and that's where we can make a major move. What if we never filled up, but stopped at a half or three quarter full tank...

Nonsense. That wouldn't be changing the amount of fuel sold. You would just buy twice as often.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

chevor

US/Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/13 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say its historic inflation. The government is out of control with its spending.

2010 Gmc 2500 CCSB Duramax,1ton rear springs, 90g box tank, 0ver 631,000 Odometer miles, 20k Curt fifth wheel, 18k Curt rear mount hitch,Bridgestone Duravis R500s Rancho 9000 Shocks, Firestone Airbags, bypass oil filter
13 Chevy LT CC DRW w/ 9' flatbed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fuel Cost Stability-Tank half full?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS