Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Hocking Hills
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Hocking Hills

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
cwarren78

SW Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/13 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any comments about this location?

Understand there's plenty to do...Zip-lining, etc

Will have two girls (grandkids) 7, 10...so looking for campgrounds in the area of Ohio (Indiana, KY, Tennesee)

Rockwood 8314SS
Dodge Ram 2500

freesilveroffer.com

wtravlr1

Palm Harbor, Florida,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/13 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is a great area, I go there for winter walks, there are some pics of the winter walk on my website, its really a summer location with plenty of things to do and some great scenery.

CLICKY

Mark9090

Munroe Falls

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been, but had many friends who rave about it and return annually.

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hocking Hills is gorgeous. Beautiful hiking. We drove through campground, but didn't camp. The campground was very crowded and tight sites, I'll warn you. But the park is fabulous.
I also live in SW Ohio. Indiana State Parks are great. They have a lot of campgrounds w/ outdoor pool w/ waterslides.
Indiana:
Spring Mill has an old grist mill where you can watch them grind corn then buy the corn meal. They also have a little guided boat tour of a cave. Kids loved it.
We stayed at Lincoln State Park to visit Holiday World (water park way better than Kings Island)

In Ohio,
Hueston Woods is close and decent (but old). They have good archery ranges, including a tower you can shoot from, and a seperate range where you walk through a trail and there's little offshoots w/ targets. WE bought cheap WalMart bows and kids love it. Good fossil collecting here. Fun frisbee golf course trail, deep through the woods. Paintball target shooting range that's never been operating when we've been there, but you can take your own stuff if you have it. We were able to walk onto that range. Some sites are not very level here, gotta watch.
Winton Woods, Hamilton County Park, Cincinnati - Spray playground and nice big county park. Boat rentals for lake, etc.

Kentucky:
AJ Jolly is a regional park Alexandria KY had lot going on, but you'd probably never hear of the park. We could fish from our campsite. (but most sites had severe incline!)
Natural Bridge: Skylift, nice hiking. Cool to hike to top of the Natural Bridge.
Mammoth Caves: Variety of cave tours, still open when a lot of cave tours in the area are closing down due to white-nose syndrome. Beautiful trails here, too.

TheAmRheins

Elizabethtown IN USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/13 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Hocking Hills area, the KOA is really nice. They have a mining thing where the girls can find gemstones and "pan for gold". They would probably enjoy that.

Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

jrw1550

Lithopolis, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/13 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live about 30 minutes away, can be there and setup in about 45 minutes or so. I usually stay at the KOA, which we love but there are plenty of other campgrounds in the area. The state park there is pretty nice and around 24 or 25 bucks a night not too pricey. You can find anything from fishing at Lake Logan and Rose Lake to canoeing at Rockbridge, hiking at Old Man's Cave and Rock House. I would suggest you just google Hocking Hills region and you will get a lot of sites to come up. Good luck and I hope your 2 grandkids have fun.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/13 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful area with lots to do. When we go, we stay at Old Man's Cave campground (the state park). It's nice and inexpensive, with a variety of sites. It tends to fill most weekends so plan ahead.

There's a variety of hiking in the area, ranging from totally flat hiking at Ash Cave (beautiful, accessible, short hike to a very large cave with waterfall), Old Man's Cave (not flat, but still easy if you stay in the upper area), Conckles Hollow (lower hike is easy, upper hike isn't too bad), to the hike from Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls, and thence to Ash Cave (a total of 6 miles with some difficult bits), to the Buckeye Trail (1,444 miles - it goes all the way around the state - the hike from Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is actually on the Buckeye Trail).

We also like to visit Nelsonville. Nelsonville Pottery makes nice stuff, and there's the Rocky Boots HQ and outlet. There's also a tourist train that leaves from there.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

jaycoj1208

New London

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a lot to do at the campground the. Like others said the Koa is nice. If you are just looking for a place to get off the road and tour the area. Then Top of theCaves campground is good for that. They have hiking trails that lead to Olde mans cave, and Ash cave I think that was the other one. It has been a few years since we stayed here though.

* This post was edited 03/17/13 05:21am by jaycoj1208 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Hocking Hills
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS