Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Vermont Camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Vermont Camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
dsparklin

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/13 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, we are planning to go to VT for the first time this summer in our fifth wheel and in deciding what campgrounds to stay at in the Lake Champlain/Burlington area, we are finding conflicting campground review information in our Internet search. We are trying to decide between Lone Pine Campsites, Mallets Bay Campground and Champlain Adult Campground and wanted to get any of your feedback. Some reviews and ratings are good and others are less positive, and now we are confused as to which campground is best for a 12 night stay. Thanks for any input.

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/13 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent a few days at the Champlain Adult Campground last summer... An adult Campground own by a French Canadian, humm, I wondered if clothing was optional... I was game for it, but a little apprehensive. I called for reservations and talked with the owner to make the deposit. His reply was, "we don't take credit cards, I'll take you at your word you will be here or you will call me if you're not coming". Humm, is this guy for real?

When I arrived, there it was, a small campground in a old orchard. I wonder through the little paths around the apple trees with my huge rig looking for some sign of an office. I found it... a little hand pained sign on a stick, saying office, that way, down a foot path. We had to leave out rigs blocking the so-called road, followed the path to the office (which was in the barn). On a big black board was my first name greeting me and site assignments. Now, to find my spots in this orchard without a map or street signs this will be interesting. One of the campers there took pity on me and offered to show me to my site.

When we reached our sites, I was amazed. The grassy site was well shaded and dead level with water, electric and sewer close by (no extension needed). We quickly set up camp and was laying out the ground mat when a neighbor came by and said no mats or pegs allowed.

After we settled in and were on our second round of refreshments when the owner came riding in on his bike. What a nice guy, we offered him a drink and chair and we spent the rest of the afternoon getting the rest of the story. He said the reason for the name of the campground was; it's all ledge there and putting a pool or a playground would be costly and swimming in the lake is tuff due to the shale bottom. If you show up with kids they are most welcome, but not much for them to do there. He doesn't want the grass to be killed with mats. All the utilities are less than a foot down and therefore no stakes (he calls them pegs).

It's one the best campgrounds I've stay at... Clean, spacious, very reasonably priced, every site is unique and has a view of the lake or the orchard. Most campgrounds would have put at least one or two more camper between us. I enjoyed my stay there so much I'm going back this summer to spend another week there. I'd give it and A+.

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/13 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know very little about Mallets Bay, but I do not think they have full hookups and it across a busy road from the lake. Beyond that it depends on what you are looking for. Champlain Adult is our favorite. Fantastic owners, wonderful location right on Lake Champlain. The Champlain Islands are beautiful. Very little in the way of activities. Good, solid hookups. They do only accept cash or checks, there is no pool, cable or wifi. Lone Pine is not on the lake and is more of a resort campground with more activities, pool, cable and wifi. Also, the campground sits right next to interstate 89, so there is some noise with a lot depending upon where your site is. Way back in the day, I stayed there while getting my graduate degree at the University of Vermont.

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/13 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've stayed at Lone Pine and liked it. We haven't stayed at the other two.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/13 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not on your list, but we stayed at Apple Island RV Park in South Hero VT. I remember a state park near there but we didn't check it out. We wanted full hookups.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Rescue16

Virginia Beach, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/13 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sdianel wrote:

It's not on your list, but we stayed at Apple Island RV Park in South Hero VT. I remember a state park near there but we didn't check it out. We wanted full hookups.

Lonny and Diane

I used to live on South street just up the road from Apple Island RV Park but left there in 1975. I am thinking about going back this summer and taking my 35' TT. How is that campground and are the site large enough for my travel trailer.

Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

Wrong Lane

Fredericton, NB

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/13 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 for Apple Island. Nice park, clean and well run. Even though we are not golfers our family had a blast on the par 3 nine hole course.

It appears the be hilly but each site is level. Lots of seasonals but they were friendly.

We had a chuckle out of the list of "pool rules". There had to be at least 20 rules for using the pool. The camp store prices were very high.

A good spot to stay when visiting the area.

2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

vgoulette

Shallowater, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/13 01:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Apple Island is where we stayed when we went to DH's family reunion at the State Park there on Lake Champlain in '07. We were in a 29' TT at the time, and found the CG to be very nice. We would definitely stay there again if in the area.

Vickie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Vermont Camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS