Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Austin Tx to Mt. Rushmore then Yellowstone then home.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Austin Tx to Mt. Rushmore then Yellowstone then home.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
samcindy12@aol.com

Georgetown, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/13 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a trip from Austin Tx to Mt. Rushmore then over to Yellowstone NP then back down through Colorado, New Mexico back home to Austin. We have two weeks. We will be traveling May 11 thru May 26.

To take in most of the sites in the Mt. Rushmore area, how long should we plan there. Then how long in the Yellowstone area to get in most of the sites. We would like sugestions for good RV parks at both locations as well.

We are traveling in 40 ft. DP towing a small trailer. We been traveling to FL every year for the last several years but can go west now. Looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance to everyones suggestions.
Sam & Cindy

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/13 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having spent months in the Custer/Rushmore area it takes a few weeks to see it all. You can visit and see Rushmore in a couple of hours, unless you want to hike to the workshop and/or the base. Then figure on a half day or better. BUT, there is so much more to see in the area. Crazy Horse, Custer SP, GameLoop Road. Sylvan Lake and the Needles area, Spearfish Canyon (Dances With Wolves winter scenes), Devil's Tower. There is so much to see and do in the Black Hills area that you really have to be there a while to appreciate it all. Lead and the Homestake Gold Mine site is a quick visit and free, but you can crawl the tunnels if you are inclined for a few dollar guided tour.

To answer your first question briefly, take a couple or three days for a brief look around. Great time of the year to see the praries open up and bloom.

Dadio24

TEXAS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/13 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Horsedoc" covered most of it.
Yellowstone itself is a week long trip to see it all and enjoy the park. Make two trisp and see Rushmore & Custer Areas and all the parks to the south then go see Yellowstone on a special trip. Just too much to see in the two weeks plus the 3 days each way for traveling. Just my Opinion...Sounds so fun...I may do it in June!

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/13 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opening dates for Yellowstone

Suggest you review the info and links in the above link as IMO you will be arriving at Yellowstone quite early in the season when a lot of facilities aren't yet open. The roads are planned to be open, but weather permitting. We have been snowed on in mid-June, but nothing that would close roads. Bring warm clothing as it will definitely go below freezing at night.

On the plus side, you will be ahead of the crowds, so there should be no problem in finding parking at pull outs. It may be possible to drive your 40 DP all around the Park, but you might want to consider renting a car in West Yellowstone. Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is IMO the best for private parks. If you want to stay inside the Park, Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups. They indicate opening in mid-May.

It's a great place - spend as much time as you can.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/13 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you describe it, Austin-Mt Rushmore-Yellowstone-Austin, there will be about six days of driving, on the fastest route, mostly Interstates (I-35 to Topeka, US-75 to Omaha, I-29 to Sioux Falls, I-90 to Rapid City, 1 1/2 days. One day to east gate of Yellowstone. Coming back most direct, Wy-120 and US-20 to Casper, then I-25, a day to Cheyenne. Through Denver to I-70, a day to Salina. A long day's drive from Salina will get you home.

That will give you a week to split between the two destinations, hardly enough for either one if you really want to see what is in the Black Hills, or what is in Yellowstone. But enough time for a "been there, check it off the list."

If you want to come south out of Yellowstone, through the Tetons to Rock Springs, that will add about a half day's travel, plus whatever time you want to schedule for Grand Teton NP. There are some obvious big loops, coming down through Colorado and New Mexico, but the driving time would use up your whole two weeks.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

samcindy12@aol.com

Georgetown, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/13 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. When we first started planning this trip, I had just planned to go to Mt. Rushmore and take in the sights in that area and then back home. My very dear wife said that we needed to go see Yellowstone also. I told her that we wouldn't have enough time, but our friends sided with her and said that we needed to do both.

Well, I just read your post to her and she now agrees that we will just do Mt. Rushmore the area there, then another trip to Yellowstone.
Maybe I can convince her to go there in late September or early October.

Again Thank You All, and Happy Traveling!

Sam & Cindy

StephJohn2010

Black Hills, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/13 01:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rafter J is a good campground. Must see's: Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Bear Country USA, Reptile Gardens, Deadwood.

John & Steph
RV Daily Life Video Blog
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (8,700 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2012 Toyota Prius - Dolly'd 2,000 miles so far
2007 Prius - Dolly'd about 3,000 miles - Traded in 2013

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Austin Tx to Mt. Rushmore then Yellowstone then home.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS