Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Florida Keys -Bucket list
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Florida Keys -Bucket list

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am interested in spending a few nights tent camping in the keys this coming fall/winter and I suppose I better make ressies real soon. Any suggestions? I will be traveling with a dog so it has to be dog friendly and I lean towards state cgs for financial reasons but if is going to be hot maybe I should think about a tent site with electric? Any suggestions welcome.

LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jolly roger tent camp sites are right on the bay w/electric.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bahia Honda State Park has 30 tent only sites, but it is hard to get a site. Start now and check every few days.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long Key State Park is ideal for tent camping. Right on the water and not as busy as the others.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

gcloss

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Folks wrote:

Bahia Honda State Park has 30 tent only sites, but it is hard to get a site. Start now and check every few days.

Love Bahia Honda .... been there a bunch of times. The Travel Channel says Bahia Honda is one of the top 10 beaches in Florida.

2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2009 Jayco Eagle 256RKS

Locky

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with the others on Bahia Honda. Just be careful if you take a nighttime walk on the old bridge. There's one step that is a doozy.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NCWriter wrote:

I can honestly say no one at any FL ( or other such) state park has shown even the slightest interest in our evening glass of wine at the campsite.

Whenever I see those rules at state, provincial or NPs, I figure they are covering themselves when it's time to toss out the rowdy drunks.

X2, discretion is the order of the day and the alcohol rules are intended to control behavior particularlly in the day use areas

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that all Florida State Parks forbid the posession or consumption of alcohol within the park. There are other fine private options both to the south, and to the north, of Bahia Honda. Good snorkelin' though!

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can honestly say no one at any FL ( or other such) state park has shown even the slightest interest in our evening glass of wine at the campsite.

Whenever I see those rules at state, provincial or NPs, I figure they are covering themselves when it's time to toss out the rowdy drunks.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are flexible for fall (not just winter), you may still be able to get state park Keys sites here and there on weekdays after school is back in session on up to a week before Christmas. The park manager at Bahia Honda told us recently that they do often have availability that time of year. You can tell fast by checking each park's web site.

Yes, Sept/Oct/early Nov is hurricane season and it may be hot, too. The other downside is that more activities are scheduled during winter months.

Right now, everything is full for RV sites in the Keys SPs for January and February 2014 up to February 9 which opens for bookings tomorrow. But tent-only sites may still be available.

Long Key is great, also Curry Hammock and John Pennekamp. If I were you, depending on length of time you have open, I would start at Pennekamp and work my way south to Bahia Honda, staying a few days (or longer) at each one. They have individual personalities but all are enjoyable stays.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Florida Keys -Bucket list
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS