Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Wi-Fi How Come?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wi-Fi How Come?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
netjam

Canadian on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Verizon Mi-fi deal for wi-fi but we have a usage limit so we occassionally use rv park supplied wi-fi. How come, you can go to Mcdonalds and get adequate wi-fi even if there are 20 people using it, and almost all rv park wi-fi (free or paid) is really bad? I know parks cover more area than a Macdonalds eatery, but really....what's the deal?

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's one possible explanation. McD's is in town, closer to all major utilities, including cable. Campgrounds are in a more rural setting, usually without cable. Their Internet may be satellite based and more expensive for the same bandwidth.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another would be that everybody ELSE is streaming video at the campground and have saturated the park wifi bandwidth.

Pogoil

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another problem is the antenna in your lap top. It is the weakest link in the system often times. Try a USB external antenna and you will notice a big difference.

And yes people streaming audio and video ruin it for everyone.

Pogoil.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McDonalds gets their WiFi from a national supplier with the best equipment and service.

Most RV parks get theirs from some guy in a beatup ex-telephone company van who travels from one RV park to the next hoping to get a sale. The equipment he installs comes from Radio Shack.

Actually It boils down to bandwidth and signal strength. The McDonalds suppliers provide large bandwidth and the signal is great because it's contained within a 6,000 square foot building.

RV Park is bigger so use an external antenna and most RV Park WiFi suppliers provide limited bandwidth unless the park or you pay a premium.

ChooChooMan74

Tiverton, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McD's is a confined space, where as a Park's WiFi is over a much broader area. Also, take in account that you are in a container of some sort, which helps in blocking the signals.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, Tuned By Green Diesel
2011 Rockwood Roo 21BH
Reese DC WDH, CIPA Door Mirrors
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2014 - 16 Camped, 3 Reserved
Can I get a Ramen for The Good Noodle

raytronx

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/13 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's usually because WiFi has a hard time passing through giant rigs. Mcdonalds restaurant doesn't fill up with 13 foot tall 40 foot long square boxes. If you get a WiFi antenna and mount it up high on your RV roof it really helps because then you can get line of sight to the WiFi broadcast antennas. Trees are also a problem as well as all those cell Mifi's with their signals interfering with the park WiFi.

Love Your RV Blog

Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE - 1994 Ford F350 7.3l IDI DRW

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our RV Resort we have a Tengo WiFI system that is inadequate. Not enough antennas and inadequate signal strength. The bandwidth is also inadequate but that isn't supplied by Tengo. The RV Resort is either too cheap to pay for adeqaute bandwidth or it isn't available. We resident have offered to pay additional for more bandwidth but no response so far.

I cannot recommend Tengo WiFi for any park or resort or to anyone. They are totally unresponsive to problems and their WiFi system is very marginal. In fact, I have developed such a dislike of Tengo I would probably not go to a RV Park or Resort that offered their WiFi services. Trust me, they are not a good company.

Tengo is so arrogant that they have complained about those of us who are using external antenna's trying to survive with weak signals. They are partially blaming our external antennas for causing interference fo others when the real problem is Tengo's lack of an adequate number of antennas and signal strength. When reporting problems Tengo service personnel immediately assume that the dumb user is the problem. It take several phone calls from several members in the park to get their attention. Not an ethical company.

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the above is true. It is also my observation that most campgrouns do not have adequate placement of repeaters or wifi range external antennas throughout the parks. Best range is usually near the office. They also are likely subscribed to a low bandwidth, lowest cost plan.

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs wet
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, CC, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Short bed, payload 3,900 lbs.

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

USARMYCW

Right here

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/13 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ChooChooMan74 wrote:

McD's is a confined space, where as a Park's WiFi is over a much broader area. Also, take in account that you are in a container of some sort, which helps in blocking the signals.

I usually sit in the McDonalds parking lot and get a better signal than sitting outside the office of a RV Park.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wi-Fi How Come?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS