Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trapped in the US
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trapped in the US

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
shawn_n_jess

Toronto

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/13 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all,

I've been searching around trying to find help for our situation but I'm kind of at a dead end. I've found a lot of related information but nothing that answers my actual problem so I'm hoping someone here can help.

My partner and I(from Canada) bought a used RV in Florida with the intention of doing a 3 month road trip around the southern US before importing it to Canada. We bought the RV and just before closing realized we would only be getting a one month temporary tag from Florida. We mentioned to the dealer our plans and were told that while we couldn't get a 3 month tag after the first month he would mail us a tag for a second month. Ok thats fine our trip is 1 month shorter but we'll plan around that.

A few weeks in we had to head back to Canada for a family illness so we left the vehicle in storage in Louisiana. Once things stabilized we decided to fly back down and just drive it straight back to Canada and put it in storage up here until the summer. Upon mailing the dealer for the second tag(since the first would have expired before we could get it back up) he told us that though he didn't say it that was only if they didn't send out the title transfer which they did so he can't provide it anymore.

So now we have an RV sitting in Louisiana with no valid tag. We're from Ontario which doesn't offer temporary tags.

Is there any way to get another tag in the US? Every DMV I've checked seems to imply the vehicle needs to be recently sold to get one.

I've considered selling/gifting it to my us corporation. Then selling it back to myself but I would have to pay taxes on the sale 3 times in total then right?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't tag it with Ontario plates without the physical presence of the unit?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/13 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you taken the actual RV down to the local DMV and asked to get registration tags?
Take all the bill of sale info from the FL dealer with you. Worse case drive back to the FL dealer and have him help get the proper registration.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call LA DMV ask if they have a temporary tag for an RV needing to be driven back to Ontario. Unless you have already spoken with a person in LA.

Might cost a few bucks, shouldn't be much, I would think.

Is it possible to register & tag it in LA & keep & use the LA tags & registration in Ontario for a year?

The next post by Lakeside is what I was suggesting (the first one), but didn't think of the "transfer" term for them.

Does Ontario issue "transfer" tags?

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/13 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried getting a "transfer" plate from DMV? Here in Maine a "transfer' plate costs around $15.

I am NOT encouraging you to break the law, but I see boat trailers, utility trailers, RVs, and Motor homes with expired tags crossing the border about every day. It appears that here on this side of Canada (New Brunswick) no one is concerned with expired tags. The major focus is collecting the necessary GST and PST fees. A "transfer" plate would be your best bet if you could aquire one. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

LAKESIDE

shawn_n_jess

Toronto

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/13 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can but only if you have a previous registration with a specific cert(Fit) on it from what I've read since it's out of province that isn't possibe. Other information indicates you need the RIV import docs first as well for international vehicles which you can't get until you're at the border.

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/13 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another possible solution-can you hire a driver that can put their own commercial tag on it or possibly pay to have it flatbedded over the border? I understand that may be expensive but it might work.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FL has a "transit tag" that allows up to 15 days to take a vehicle sold in FL to another jurisdiction. I would imagine LA has the same or similar tag. Check with the LA DMV for a solution.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/13 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

Have you tried getting a "transfer" plate from DMV? Here in Maine a "transfer' plate costs around $15.

I am NOT encouraging you to break the law, but I see boat trailers, utility trailers, RVs, and Motor homes with expired tags crossing the border about every day. It appears that here on this side of Canada (New Brunswick) no one is concerned with expired tags. The major focus is collecting the necessary GST and PST fees. A "transfer" plate would be your best bet if you could aquire one. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

LAKESIDE

As a practice(and a common-sense way to go)i would NOT do anything illiegal while enjoying being a guest in the United States no matter how small an offence,anything you do will effect your future relationship with the USA and how your treated at their borders!

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shawn_n_jess wrote:

Upon mailing the dealer for the second tag(since the first would have expired before we could get it back up) he told us that though he didn't say it that was only if they didn't send out the title transfer which they did so he can't provide it anymore.

This I don't get-
Who has the Title, and whose name is on it?????

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trapped in the US
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS