Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Unfriendly Welcome Center
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Unfriendly Welcome Center

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Don F

Illinois City,Il

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stopped at the I-75 North bound Rest Area in Chattanooga Tenn to get a bite to eat and a little rest on our trip from FL. to IL. last January.
We pulled in at seven pm and at nine pm there was someone hammering on the door. It was a jerk of a Security guard who told us RVs could only park 2 hours and our time was up and would have to leave.It was not like we had the slides out and was setting up camp.The Welcome Center part was closed and there were lots of open parking spaces. We left there and stopped at the rest area on 24, a short time later. We talked to a nice Security Guard there and asked if we could get a couple hours of sleep. He stated we could spend the night if we needed to, he didn't care. We usually try to stay in campgrounds, but because of the approaching snow storms we wanted to stay on the road as much as possible. We have are in our 60's and have traveled extensively in our motor home. This is the 1st time we have ever been kicked out of a rest area.So much for the Chattanooga Welcome Center.

Don & Mary

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had that happen one time at the eastbound rest area near Pensacola FL on I-10. I told the rent-a-cop to summons the FHP as I was NOT leaving until the FHP or local SO Deputy told me to. Never heard another word from him and we spent the night.

NO LEO in their right mind, is going to tell a tired motorist to go back on the road. Now, rent-a-cops on a power trip, are a totally different bunch.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the jerk was just trying to give you and your family some reasonable security/protection, since it was after dark, and the rest station was closed. On the side of a major well traveled national interstate highway. You know there are all kinds that travel that road. And I'll bet he knows the rules applied to parking there for more than two hours.

It never ceases to amaze me that some jerks actually do their job. Maybe his job title should be changed from 'security guard' to 'jerk security guard'.

* This post was edited 03/16/13 12:14pm by an administrator/moderator *

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

alageezer

seale, al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/13 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In defense of the rest area just below Chatanooga headed north it is a very small area. It fills up fast, and there are plenty of signs clearly stating the two hour limit. If you need a nap that bad, do a flip and use the one on the southbound side, it's huge.

2011 Bounder Classic

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/13 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not so sure I'm good with being allowed to " stay" because of a alleged safety factor of being tired! Who made any driver drive to the point of exhaustion? Who forced a driver NOT to stop at a campground? .......or any legal area for over night parking? How about this......Take responsibility for yourself and your actions!!!

Maybe the security guard was just doing his/her job ???

2010 Flagstaff 26RLS
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
2006 Toyota Tundra D/C (sold)
2001 Bantam B-19,(sold)
2003 Harley Road King
The whole family,
Cold ones in the cooler, good times ahead.

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What did he do that made him a jerk? Maybe he was doing what they hired him to do?

What time did you leave the 2nd rest area?

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Security guard just doing his job. Is the two hour rule only for other people not you? Perhaps the jerk was just doing what his boss told him to do because of recent problems at that rest area.

boondockdad

Dearborn

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

I had that happen one time at the eastbound rest area near Pensacola FL on I-10. I told the rent-a-cop to summons the FHP as I was NOT leaving until the FHP or local SO Deputy told me to. Never heard another word from him and we spent the night.

NO LEO in their right mind, is going to tell a tired motorist to go back on the road. Now, rent-a-cops on a power trip, are a totally different bunch.

Right on... right on.

Vulcaneer wrote:

Maybe the jerk was just trying to give you and your family some reasonable security/protection, since it was after dark, and the rest station was closed. On the side of a major well traveled national interstate highway. You know there are all kinds that travel that road. Even some of those dreadful Canadians. And I'll bet he knows the rules applied to parking there for more than two hours.

It never ceases to amaze me that some jerks actually do their job. Maybe his job title should be changed from 'security guard' to 'jerk security guard'.

Sorry, but police have no legal obligation to provide citizens with any protection; and a security guard making minimum wage, has even less.

Not buying your 'just doing his job' routine, either. 'After dark' it was 'closed'? Really? Does that go for the freeway, too?

Rest areas, welcome centers don't have 'hours of operation' in the parking areas.

AFA protection goes? That's my responsibility, and I take it a hell of a lot more seriously than some random security guard.

Airstream 30' S/O Classic Limited + 8.1L Suburban LT

http://www.boondockdad.com

See you down the road!

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have their rules. They are what they are for a reason. One of those reasons is not emotional. You knew what the rules were. Yet some how you felt they should not apply to you. Why are you different? Did it ever occur to you that you are not special? I know that area and there are campgrounds a plenty if you are truly tired and want to stay all night. If the security guard had not made you move he probably would have lost his job.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:

Security guard just doing his job. Is the two hour rule only for other people not you? Perhaps the jerk was just doing what his boss told him to do because of recent problems at that rest area.
First off, in Florida there is NO law that sets any time limit under 18 hours. The DOT has a internal rule that says no more than 3 hours parking, but it is NOT a law and can not be enforced. It is a tool for LEO to use if the need arises and that is why the signs posted, say on the bottom, "FDOT rules" not FSS xxxx.x.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Unfriendly Welcome Center
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS