Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: HOG's Leaving Daytona
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOG's Leaving Daytona

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the end of bike week in central Florida, the roar of straight piped Harley's, (and some other unnamed brands),can be heard for miles as they speed home on the interstates. Many feel they should be required to wear helmets as some using their heads do. Florida laws are very funny, they require children under 16 to wear helmets on bicycles, but many children won't because they watch the many that don't and wonder why they should. Helmet's are being redesigned for Football players as they need better protection, perhaps a better designed cycle helmet would be in order too. I say LED lights with solar sensors, all around would be cool and safer, what does your head tell you?

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grew up not wearing a bike helmet.Maybe the bikes were safer back in the day,or our sidewalks were smoother. On the motorcycle some days wear one,other days not.
Seen people riding motorcycles with a full face helmet but wearing tank tops,shorts and sandals.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trop-a-cal wrote:

With the end of bike week in central Florida, the roar of straight piped Harley's, (and some other unnamed brands),can be heard for miles as they speed home on the interstates. Many feel they should be required to wear helmets as some using their heads do. Florida laws are very funny, they require children under 16 to wear helmets on bicycles, but many children won't because they watch the many that don't and wonder why they should. Helmet's are being redesigned for Football players as they need better protection, perhaps a better designed cycle helmet would be in order too. I say LED lights with solar sensors, all around would be cool and safer, what does your head tell you?

In order for 'some' riders to wear a helmet-it wouldn't take a better helmet, but a better brain, under the helmet to wear it. IMHO as an ER nurse.

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I'm just not hardcore enough...ride a motorcycle a lot of miles a year and never go without a helmet and protective clothes. In nearly 50 years of riding I have been down twice and was happy I wore the gear. To each his own but with all the idiots on the road today, motorcycle riding is risky enough so why tempt fate.

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but I am from the “OLD SCHOOL” when government had less “instruction” for us all and we rode without helmets. The only justifiable reason when it all started was that it made identification of the remains easier for the officer at the scene

masa4u.com

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riders who refuse to wear helmets make good organ donors.

RVnMC

Bethlehem PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This could escalate into a heated opinionated thread that would be better suited on one of the many MC forums.

Whether ATGATT or not...Many are happy to be able to CHOOSE, and not have a law telling them what they have to do.

Would you want to have to wear a helmet in your car/truck? Although next to some drivers on some highways I might consider it a requirement. LOL!

Now let's really get the board stirred and discuss firearms!

06Fargo

Alberta EIEIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of today's high quality helmets & gear ventilate very well and are comfortable to pretty extreme temperatures if you stay hydrated.

In today's selfish "Me First" culture people use their vehicles to push their weight around - so you need to watch out.

I use the tried and true method understood my most veteran riders: ride like you are invisible to other road users.... a lot of them aren't looking out the window while they drive anyway...

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sometimes ride with one and other times not...I want it to be my choice. Like Fargo said, assume no one sees you and always ride defensive and always look out for yourself.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/13 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO but if you don't wear one you don't have anything worth losing. I always wore one. Old saying, "dress for the fall not the ride". All it takes is one good hit on your head and your dead or messed up. Even if the law was recinded I'd still wear one. Each to his own I guess.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOG's Leaving Daytona
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS