Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Taking Babies Camping. . .
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Taking Babies Camping. . .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
vgoulette

Shallowater, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/13 02:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sometimes read on here questions about how young is too young to take babies camping. We foster parent medically fragile babies, and have taken our babies (yes, all are infants) with us since we started RVing in 2007. We have taken babies from Texas to Colorado, South Dakota/Mt. Rushmore, Missouri, Tennessee, and a trip to Washington D.C., via New York/Niagara Falls, Vermont (family reunion), Connecticut, Pennsylvania/Gettysburg/Crayola Factory/Hershey, and probably several places I'm not remembering at the moment. The trip to Mt. Rushmore, not only did we have our medically fragile foster baby, I also had a broken kneecap.

Please don't let having an infant keep you from RVing with your litle ones. Yes, it's a little more work, but sooo worth it!! One trip to Colorado, we had two infants. I can't imagine NOT taking our babies with us.

Oh, and we aren't young RVers either, DH is 64 and I am 60. If we can do it, you can do it!!! Go out there and make memories!!

Vickie

Dyngbld

Central VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My now 12 year old Boy Scout went camping at 6 months. At the time we had a 6 month, 18 month, 3 yo and 6 yo. All still love camping. DS was in a "pac-n-play" in the tent, the girls all slept in sleeping bags. We had a big cabin tent. As the kids got older they all got their own tents, I think the boy was in his own tent at around three. He could set it up with very little help. We used his little tent inside at grandma's house to help "coral" him at night for several years.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tent camped when our kids were babies. Just looked at it as part of life's journey.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My girls started camping at age 6 weeks and both are still happily camping in their late 40's. Life is too short to spend it not camping!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

michaelman501

langley

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago my wife and i took our newborn son camping in our travel trailer, he was only 5 weeks old. It happened to snow that weekend, we all had a blast and have been camping with our son ever since, hes now 18 months old and loves camping. I am so looking forward to camping this summer because now he is running around. Just have to remember to keep the little ones bundled from head to toe and keep that furnace going. Thanks for posting this topic, never should having a child keep anyone from RVing...For me its more of a reason to head out camping, you have to make memories!

Michael

DRudd

Chuluota, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/13 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son is almost 21 and my daughter is just shy of 18, and both were camping with us practically right out of the hospital! In fact, they still go camping with us when the schedule permits. Load those little ones up and live life

2003 Four Winds 27BG-F
1997 Suburban C1500 w/5.7L
with upgraded rear suspension, oil cooler, trans cooler, and 3.73 gears.
Kelsey Brake Controller
Reese Weight Distributing System
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/13 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At ten days our grandson was camping. Heck, a good cardboard box is all you really need with a few blankets. We had his mother there of course. She was elated to be out in the fresh air.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/13 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you really can't leave them home.....

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

gcloss

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter was born in November and she went on her first camping trip the following April and that was 27 years ago. My 21 year old son only knows camping and as others posted is a Boy Scout as well. He now works for the Boy Scouts and would rather live in a tent than a house. For the last 8 years he actually lives in a tent from June until September while working for the Boy Scouts. My DW was camping long before we met. This will be her 45th year of camping. I've been camping now for 46 years. Lifelong camping is in our blood. We never miss a chance to go camping and enjoy the outdoors.

2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2009 Jayco Eagle 256RKS

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our grandson started to visit our campsite when he was 4 months old. Our two daughter-in-laws are due in June and are already planning on visiting us on Cape Cod with the babies. The infants can sleep and be shaded at the RV while we take turns exploring the beach with our older grandson. We will have the parents with us so it should be a nice time.

See you on the road!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Taking Babies Camping. . .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS