Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: 1st Buyer looking for a travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> 1st Buyer looking for a travel trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
coach4life

Langley

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/13 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently drive a 2011 Dodge 1500 with full tow package. looking for a travel trailer roughly 28-30 feet with bunks for a family 4 (2 young kids).

1)How would my dodge tow in weight and length?
2)Any advice as to how to go about looking for in a trailer?

Thanks for the input in advance.

GENECOP

NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/13 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hit as many RV shows as you can. Not sure about the Hershey PA show, but it's one of the biggest. One more thing DO NOT LISTEN to the dealers about what your truck can and can't pull, they just want to sell you, figure that out independently.....

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/13 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your owners manual for towing capacities based on your cab and bed length, engine size, and gear ration...it maybe on a sticker on the hitch. My wife an I have young kids (4 and 9) and went with a bunk house (BH). Sure the kids can share a bed but at this age they fight enough and having separate beds gives them some room.

2007 Silverado crew cab, 5.3
P3 controller
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

US Army veteran

dtzackus

Cumbola, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/13 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing to do is to go to a RV Show or a dealership and check out the rigs, see what layout works for your family. We looked for two years before we decided on a rig.

Towing, trust me, check your owners manual, RV dealerships will lie to , stating a WDH will add to your towing capacity, which is so wrong. Remember it is your family in the truck and you need to be able to stop and control your truck pulling the 30ft behind you.

Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2012 Conquest 297DBS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

blackestate

South West Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/13 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enjoy looking, but when you find a style close, take their book home and look at the floor plans, we found ours this way. Never on a lot until we asked about the specific model, prioritize what is most important to your family. Some of the best advice we got was to not finance more than 8 years. takes too long to get out of being upside down. And in that time you will change your tastes...

2004 Wilderness 320DBHS
2004 f-350

RVMommaB

Carlinville, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/13 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 32 ft travel trailer with one slide and 4 bunks in the back. We have 4 kids, so we needed 4 beds and extra space in the kitchen area for sure. When looking for what to buy, we had a lot of trouble finding a trailer with enough room and in the weight capacity of our vehicles. I agree with what everyone says as far as they will lie for what you can pull. It's not the question of can you pull it, it's how will it pull in conditions that are not perfect. Will it be like riding a bucking bronco? My advice is don't try to get into something that is at the top end of what your truck is rated to pull. The best thing we did was go to the RV shows so you can see multiple makes of RV's. And then we went on-line to study the weight and layout options. Then we found a dealership that had what we wanted at the price we wanted. Oh...and an anti-sway bar helped a ton with the ride - totally worth the money. Good luck!

searfoss

East Stroudsburg PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/13 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coach4life wrote:

I currently drive a 2011 Dodge 1500 with full tow package. looking for a travel trailer roughly 28-30 feet with bunks for a family 4 (2 young kids).

1)How would my dodge tow in weight and length?
2)Any advice as to how to go about looking for in a trailer?

Thanks for the input in advance.
MANY things go into towing capacity, motor, tranny, tire size, REAR GEAR RATIO... Do not go to an RV show and ask what can I tow, they will lie. Look at a towing chartthat you can break down by your trucks specs.

With all that said, can I ask how you camp now?
30' trailer is a big trailer, have you though about a Hybrid Trailer? They pack up and tow short but camp big. They are lighter, easier to back into camp sites for new RVers. Starting out if your kids are boy and girl I could recommend something like this Palomino Stampede S-235-SDSL w/slide If they are the same age and sleep together you could look at a Palomino Stampede S-21 SDSL. I cannot speak tot he other brands on the market, we started with the 21Sd with 3 kids so I can say we were happy with the Palomino.

Find the towing ability of your truck then go check out RV's. Make your mind up to be patient and look over everything in your towing weight class.

Don't be afraid of used, just be wise. There are some nice deals on used RV's in the economy. If you smell mold/mildew of fresh glue look at something different. And haggle over the warranty on a used rig. If the salesman is so sure the rig is in good shape he should be willing to warranty it as such. I would push for 6 months so you have a whole season with it.

When you decide, post a picture! We're picture hounds here and love to look at them.

Happy Camping -

Poconos Pennsylvania
2007 Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze 23TRS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> 1st Buyer looking for a travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts