Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: The Rally in Syracuse
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> The Rally in Syracuse

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
stuartvt

Williston Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/13 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning on launching to a full time lifestyle in 2014 and we are trying to learn everything we can about RVing, DP, and the lifestyle. We would like to go the the Camping World/Good Sam "The Rally" in Syracuse, NY in June if the workshops and education seminars are worthwhile. We are also in shopping mode for a large DP. If they have RVs to see, that would also be an attraction.

If anyone has been to one of these in the past or knows anything about this rally specifically, are they worth the effort? We live in Vermont so it not to far a drive.

Thanks for your input,

Stuart and Leslie

wkswenson

USA - MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/13 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have changed over the years, and it has been many years since we went to one. We are heading to Syracuse for the Rally this year. My understanding is that CW will have parts/rigs there (as they have in the past).

The only seminar that I have seen listed so far is the RV Safe Driver training one. Never been to it and still weighing the idea of $75 for it. (Been driving RV's for 20+ years now - but of course you can always lean new things).

Overall I think it will be a good time.

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2002 F350 Crew Cab, DRW, 7.3L, Curt Q24K
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/13 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went back and looked at the listing of seminars from the Daytona rally, and they had a number on everything from how to use your IPAD to Rv maintenance to fulltiming planning to sponsored "seminars" on caravan trips. I am planning to fulltime ins a few years and hoping to go to Atlanta in the fall, to hit all the seminars... I am just wondering from seeing the slide show of Daytona, if I can see and learn all I want in 4 days.

stuartvt

Williston Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the responses,

If this is anything similar to the Daytona Rally it sounds like it will be great.

Stuart & Leslie

thmitch79

Ilion New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were very much interested in attending the Rally in Syracuse and when we heard that people are offered a 'free' stay, if they qualify, we went for it. We are Lifetime members and members of the Good Sam Roadside assistance. When I called about the free stay offer, I was told I needed to purchase another Good Sam product to qualify. I was then offered a membership in Travel Assist for $59. It's not a lot of money and a one time deal but not something I really wanted. I guess I was the fool but we took it. NOW, I find out others who had only the Roadside assistance got in free with out needing to purchase anything extra. I guess I got taken but I assure you it will not happen again and I will be very wary of attending another function like this. Has anyone else been dealt with like this attending a Rally? I hope I am the only one.

Laugh, Live, Love.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/13 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to the Rally in Louisville, KY last year. There were many dozens of RVs there to look at and buy. There were seminars all day for 3 days about every imaginable thing, and there were many, many vendors there exhibiting and selling their wares. We are planning to go to the Syracuse Rally.

Welcome to the forum, I don't see many from Vermont.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So how much are all these seminars on top of the $399 entry fee? Is it just CW selling stuff or are all the mfgs. displaying units?
I was told I had to buy Roadside plan and upgrade my membership plan. I have gotten very leery of this show now that I have read the above posts. Sounds more like a time share sales gimmick than an RV show.

wkswenson

USA - MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/13 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need to buy anything to go to the Rally (other than the entry fee). There are ways of purchasing certain memberships (I am not sure what they are)... or purchasing an RV from CW that allow you into the dry camping for free.

Not sure about the seminar costs...

Is it a way for CW to make a buck... sure it is... and get people into a captured setting to sell merchandise and RVs... sure it is... but it is also a way to get to meet new people and have an adventure out. So that is what we look forward to.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wkswenson wrote:

Not sure about the seminar costs...

In Kentucky, the seminars were included in the entry fee, no extra cost.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

az99 wrote:

So how much are all these seminars on top of the $399 entry fee? Is it just CW selling stuff or are all the mfgs. displaying units?
I was told I had to buy Roadside plan and upgrade my membership plan. I have gotten very leery of this show now that I have read the above posts. Sounds more like a time share sales gimmick than an RV show.

$199 is the entry fee, without electric, for Good Sam members. Electric costs $200 more. The registration form has discounts listed. $50 off if you are a Deluxe member. $100 off for life members and $199 off for Elite members (Bought an RV at CW).

Go to therally.com and dig around to find the application form.

* This post was edited 04/06/13 06:07am by tenbear *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> The Rally in Syracuse
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS