Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: YATFT (Yet Another Tire Failure Thread)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> YATFT (Yet Another Tire Failure Thread)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Michael in MN

MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I blew up one of my Chinese OEM tires:

The entire carcass separated at the shoulder. If anyone can point me to more information on that type of failure, I'd be thankful.

I'm estimating no more than 2000 miles were on that tire, and as far as I know, I didn't hit anything or otherwise damage the tire. I was traveling at about 50mph, the failed tire was in the passenger-side rear position. I doubt that I'm overloaded, as the trailer claims 3000lbs empty weight, the total tire capacity is 1360lbs x 4, and because it was below freezing, I had no water in the trailer and no unusually heavy items.

For better or worse, because the other tires had 5000 miles on them and because I was 500 miles from home, I decide to buy 4 new tires at the nearest tire dealer (Goodyear, Plate City MO, very friendly and helpful, but not cheap).

I guess I'll see if Marathons are any better.

Observations:

Goodyear thinks that it's OK to run ST tires up to 75mph under certain conditions:
Quote:

Many trailer manufactures establish the recommended tire inflation pressure based on the 65 mph (104 km/h) rated speed for ST tires. In these cases, the ST tires should be inflated 10 psi (69 kPa) higher than the trailer placard for speeds up to 75 mph (121 km/h) (wheel must be rated for this higher inflation pressure). If the trailer manufacturer’s placard specifically states that the cold inflation pressure is suitable for speeds above 65 mph (104 km/h), no additional inflation pressure adjustment is required.

(http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf)

Carlisle has a document with a set of recommendations and best practices

(www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf)

Among the recommendations:

* Use only ST tires on trailers, the differences in tire construction, cord diameter, tread depth, sidewall stiffness make non-ST tires unsuitable for trailers.
* The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.
* If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, replace both tires on that side.
* Operation of a trailer tire that is 30 percent under-inflated can reduce tire lifespan by approximately 55%.
* 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,
regardless of mileage. No more than 5 years under any circumstances.

And:
Quote:

The mileage expectation of radial trailer tire can be from 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

So I need to plan on $500 in tires every 5000 miles of towing.

And a last point from Carlisle:
Quote:

If you experience a series of successive blowouts, something is wrong with your setup, it is not a tire problem.

I'm not sure what steps to take to lessen the probability of future tire failures. Axel alignment? Stop going around sharp corners?

-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2011 Ford F150 EgoBoost

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My take on many tire problems is that owners do not keep their tires up to proper inflation. A tire underinflated can heat up very fast and wear out a lot sooner.
Every stop I make while traveling I check the tires for excess heat. And yes I have Marathon's....

Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillB800si wrote:

My take on many tire problems is that owners do not keep their tires up to proper inflation. A tire underinflated can heat up very fast and wear out a lot sooner.
Every stop I make while traveling I check the tires for excess heat. And yes I have Marathon's....

Happy trails,

And yet every day thousands of vehicles are driving down the road with under inflated tires. I rarely see them blow out with this sort of force. The problem as many try to claim is not under inflation, but rather seriously bad tire construction.

To the OP. what size tires do you have? If they are 13/14/15 inch size, then your best choice is probably Maxxis. As they at least have a decent reputation on the forums. If your lucky to have 16 inch wheels pick a quality LT tire for your trailer.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

safn1949

Mankato,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never seen a tire fail in that manner,it looks like poor construction to me,just my opinion ,worth exactly what you paid for it.

horizon36

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Carlisle says is good advice. Second, don't buy Chinese tires. Get US, Japanese, or German made ones. Be sure to buy tires that are rated higher than half the axle weight. For instance, if you have a pair of 6,000# axles be sure your tires are rated at at least 3,250# single each tire. Depending on the tire size that could be a load range D or E.

You can also extend the life of your tires if you cover them when the rig is parked or not in use. Also, use an isolator between the tires and the ground like plywood or preferably the inexpensive thin throw away cutting boards you can get at WalMart.

Go to this weighing site to read more on tires. RV WEIGH

Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

taviking22

Omaha, NE

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Marathons on my Jayco 5W trailer. I had Marathons on previous 2 Jayco trailers: TT and 5W and have not experienced any trouble (hope I didn't just jinx myself!) with them. Apparently Jayco believes these to be good tires as their trailers come with them as OEM.

I don't drive at excessive speeds rarely exceeding 65 MPH unless to pass another vehicle. I'm estimating over the years I have logged over 60,000 miles towing trailers with Goodyear Marathon tires.

As previous responders have said- check cold tire pressures often (I'd suggest to the point of being anal!) and do not overload!

Marathons are taking my 5W to Alaska this summer. Hope you get the same results from your Marathons as I have.

taviking22
Omaha, NE

'06 2500HD Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ, Firestone air bags
2008 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
2012 Jayco Pinnacle 31RLTS

belfert

Shoreview, MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dare someone to find a US made ST tire. I doubt you'll find one. I've been running the Maxxis tires made in Thailand.

I had some bad luck last fall and got screws/bolts in the sidewalls of two different trailer tires. I ended up with two Goodyear Marathons as that was all I could get. I would have preferred Maxxis.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'm not sure what steps to take to lessen the probability of future tire failures. Axel alignment? Stop going around sharp corners?

Its really as simple as just saying "no" to using ST tires on a trailer. All the glowing adds about how good their ST tire is don't do much when your a ST victim. ST tires are what they are and that isn't much.

With five trailers on the road making a living years ago I have been a victim many many times. Not any more. I simply said no more and made my up grades to 13" to 15" P tires on single axle and liteweight tandem axle trailers and 15" and 16" LT tires on 3500 lb axle on up.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillB800si wrote:

Happy trails,

TPMS is your friend.

Don't leave home without it.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That tire was run low on air. Look at the scuffing on the sidewall. You can see where it folder under.

My wag is it was low in air and folded under and the rim lip cut the sidewall like a pair of sheet metal shears.

Look from the inside and see if you can find a nail or screw or something to make it go low on air.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> YATFT (Yet Another Tire Failure Thread)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS