Woodalls Open Roads Forum: i have no idea what i am doing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> i have no idea what i am doing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
levincash

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

greetings. this is my second post in this site, having posted on the 'solo camping' forum earlier. i am learning a great deal. thank you all. i am planning a solo roadtrip for the fall. i will take my 2 dogs in a kia soul wagon from my home in santa fe, nm to philadelphia, pa with stops in OK, MS, TN and hopefully, NC, SC, Fl, and whatever is in between and around...i would like to make it after hurricanes and before snow. i am familiar with I40 and I81. i am doing my best to educate myself on tent camping again, as it has been several years. i am looking for any info on routes, campgrounds, tents suggestions, ideas, etc. you would like to share. it is not in my budget to purchase an RV or TT, so tent camping it is! i can comfortably sleep in the wagon and use the tent for changing, but i am unsure of what is allowed in campgrounds/parks, etc. since i am classified as a 'non-SUV'. still doing the research on what that means. please be kind to the 'newbie.' and, thanks, again.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How big are the dogs? You might have a problem with them tearing the tent flooring with their nails if you don't use an extra floor covering.

Be cognizant of each campground's rules for unattended dogs. At the very least, they'll be unattended while you're using the bath house.

As long as you have a tent set up, it shouldn't matter what kind of vehicle you're driving. I know some campgrounds won't let you stay if you only have a vehicle to sleep in cuz they don't want to become homeless shelters.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever your route, you can use this site for your camping considerations. Government parks generally offer better short term (daily) rates while offering a natural ambiance. Enjoy your trip.

RVn Full-time

levincash

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you for your prompt response. good things to consider. one dog is 9 lbs. the other is 20 lbs. and is actually a service dog. the other is in training now. good thought about needing a tent and not just a vehicle. that is a sad thought, though, being a volunteer for our local homeless shelter, i had not thought of that as an issue. thank you so much! this should be interesting! and i really do know what i am doing....learning!

levincash

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great site info.....thank you very much!!!!

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will depend a bit, on if you want to spend some time in each place? If you are just looking for a place to camp for the night, I'd recommend a small tent, that will be comfortable for you and the dogs....probably a 4-6 man dome tent, so that you can at least get changed in it. Basic things like using a tarp under the tent and getting a fly cover to protect the top would help too.

If you want to set up a base camp for a few days, you may want one of the larger cabin type tents, but they will be more difficult to set up.

As far as the dogs.....I'd lock them in the car, when you go for a shower. So as to avoid someone taking them, or them just getting away, or causing some sort of issue with the CG. After all, you won't be in the shower too long, so concerns of heat exhaustion shouldn't come into play, unless you happen to park in the sun....in which case, wait until sun set or sunrise to take your shower.

There are lots of resources for Tent Camping, so I'd be looking around, seeing what you can find. Check out Craigslist for camping supplies, such as camp stoves, coolers, etc.

Bring a few rolls of those small doodie bags for the dogs....everyone will appreciate it. Just because it's "nature", doesn't mean that we want to be stepping in dog poop!

If you are only planing to spend the night at each campground, and be out on the road again the next morning, you may find that certain CGs won't care how much you put out as far as tents, etc.

Get a good sleeping pad.....your back with thank you!
If you can, I'd also recommend that you crate the dogs at night....after all, a tent isn't exactly a secure place. If you can get a larger crate, and have both dogs sleep in it, so much the better. It will allow you to sleep better too.

These are just some thoughts that were popping into my head....most of it's common sense, and as I mentioned, if you start reading and doing research, you should be all set.

Also, I'd recommend taking a case of water with you......you may find that the dogs (and you) may be effected by different water qualities (it's not just Mexico), and you don't want GI issues with the dogs on a road trip! Places like Walmart usually have the same suppliers, all across the nation.

Have a great trip!!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

levincash

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all great ideas.....especially the crate for the dogs in the tent...i wondered if staying just one night would require a tent....some nights i may just be 'stopping in for the night!' and i am mindful of the dogs' 'activities' and their effects on others......this should be fun!!! thanks so much!

LynnandCarol

Fieldon, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick to State and federal parks as much as possible. Some private RV parks restrict tents and dogs. I know it sound strange but that is how it is. I have slept many times under the stars without a tent and been quite comfy. Just do some research and you should be fine.

airlifter

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eureka and kelty are good tents. eureka has a 5 person that has decent head room and easy to set up. Check their web sites.

mistressofdistress

Obion, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you have collar/harness with identification for the dog's in case they should get loose, most places require that you must have them on a 6' leash for their "walk in the park".

Sounds like you are going to have a fun trip. Be sure and keep us informed of your trip, and we love pictures!!!!

Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> i have no idea what i am doing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS