Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Tell me about Castaic Lake, CA
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Tell me about Castaic Lake, CA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jsalazar310

Irvine, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/13 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skimmed through their website... but how is the camping here? my group is planning on tent camping here in july (about 8 families). but i plan on bringing my TH. how close can we camp? in other words, can the tents be near my TH? And from my understanding, there is NO full hookups? Thanks in advance!

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2007 WW FSW2800 Billet Edi.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/13 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you asking questions like can I swim in the lake?

How large is the campground?

How many sites might be required for how many tents?

They might have a number limit of tents per site, normally you can reserve several sites together, back to back, so you are not in a huge string of campsites, but might be a group of say 4 sites on each side of the road or you might be on two roads with all the sites back to back. Also check on the number of vehicles limit per site.

Many times it is only 2 vehicles per site, and only 2 tents per site, so don't assume that everyone will carpool, and they might show up with 10 cars for only 7 sites, yours will be full if you have the toyhauler and truck. If a family of say 5 plans on each kid having their own pup tent, and one larger one for the adults, they might get restricted by the rules. And a easy up covered awning might count as one of the tents.

I have not been to that campsite, so I don't know for sure. Be sure that you know to lock out overdrive when going down the steep hills away from the lake, I see so many cars riding their brakes while in overdrive, just downshifting to D or pushing the overdrive lockout button would avoid all that brake wear, and overheating smell.

Fred.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/13 12:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's kind of a strip CG that runs along the side of the lake, more like a long parking lot. It sits on the side of a hill, so it's not shore front. The CG is also on the lower lake, so I'm not sure what can and can't be launched from there if anything. If you're doing tents I think you can probably pitch tent along the edge for the view.

Take a look at it on Goggle Earth. It's on the east side of the lower lake

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/13 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And gas, etc. on the upper lake

tdst51

Somewhere in the Ozarks...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/13 02:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have camped there a few years ago; if I remember right there are no hookups at all. But their sites are right on the lagoon, you just have to hike down the hill about 40 feet. And if you like to fish, there's more big bass in there than anywhere I've ever been. We've seen largemouth up to 20lbs, and my biggest was a 13 plus. And that time of year- miserable hot. There is swimming, but you have to drive to the other side; it's just a small swim area. There's a small area where you can fish 24 hours a day near the launch ramp, but the rest is closed at night. You can put just about any boat in there, you just can't use the gas motor. Electric only.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Tell me about Castaic Lake, CA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS