Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Zip Code required to buy gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zip Code required to buy gas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found out that in Calif. it is not required to enter your zip code to make a purchase. Got an email from AE after trying to enter several phoney ZCs. Called them and found out while it does help them track fradulant use of your card the real reason is the Vendor(in my case Valero) want it for market research. I eventually had to go in and swipe my AE card and then no zip code required.

I asked about Canadians, same thing don't have a ZC, go in and swipe your card. Not convienent but no ZC required.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we travel through the US on our way to/from Florida I just go in to the gas station and get a prepaid amount such as $75 for the pump. Not a real problem.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mind providing my zip code to buy gas. If someone tries to use my credit card, they probably won't know my ZC.

I'd much rather give a ZC, which applies to about 100K people who live near me, than give my individual address or phone number. In fact, I'm surprised that many places which might be helped by market research such as knowing in general where their customers come from don't ask for it. Campgrounds often allow self-registration with cash, no name, no info other than vehicle plate number.

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My CC gives me a 5% discount on fuel purchases, but only if I swipe my card at the pump. I'm willing to give my zip to save 15 to 20 cents a gallon as the savings really adds up over a year's time.

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not have any problem entering my zip to help in any way to prevent fraud on a stolen card.
Worse that can happen is you might get more junk mail.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I found out that in Calif. it is not required to enter your zip code to make a purchase. Got an email from AE after trying to enter several phoney ZCs. Called them and found out while it does help them track fradulant use of your card the real reason is the Vendor(in my case Valero) want it for market research. I eventually had to go in and swipe my AE card and then no zip code required.

I asked about Canadians, same thing don't have a ZC, go in and swipe your card. Not convienent but no ZC required.

You're paranoid about entering a zip code that probably belongs to thousands of people, but feel just fine about spreading your very own personalized credit card number all over creation????

Every place you use your card is compiling info on your personal buying habits, and most of them including your credit card company are selling that information.

If you really care that much about your "privacy", start paying cash.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I found out that in Calif. it is not required to enter your zip code to make a purchase.
It's required if the pumps asks for it.

What's the problem here?

* This post was last edited 04/02/13 02:36pm by 2oldman *   View edit history

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my problem with entering zip codes.........I use a corporate card when I travel and my company is in a different zip code than I am. I can never remember it when I am in a hurry to fill up on my way to the airport.......requires two trips to the cashier. If I could only memorize a simple zip code I rarely use.

Tom

2004 Suburban, 5.3l v8 4:10 rear
2004 Keystone Hornet 24RS

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/13 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't remember the zip code then write it down and put it in your walet.

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have traveled 4,000 miles pulling travel trailer in the last 4 months. I have bought PLENTY of GASOLINE. Most stations require zip code when using CC. Never had/been a problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Zip Code required to buy gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS