Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Motorcycle tent
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Motorcycle tent

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
FreeLanceing

Grand Haven Mi

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am seriously concidering a motorcycle trip to Alaska. If I can't do Alaska then a Smokie Mnt run as a tune up for Alaska next year. Either way I would prefer to camp along the way. I have Harley classic so a tent could ride on the luggage rack 22wide by 6 or so would be ideal. I am looking for a tent that sets up easily with 1 person. Enough hieght to sit up, plenty of floor space to dry out gear. I am thinking a 3 or 4 person tent. I checked the old posts and those tent models are no longer availible. I don't need a 4 season. I dont plan to ride in the snow. An invisible bear shield would be a nice feature. I want quality but yet would like to stay around $200. This is very limited use 1 trip per summer. I have a lance camper and trailer as well. I just want to do a few long bike trips while I can still ride all day. Any suggestions are welcome. I will need a good sleeping pad and bag as well.

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/13 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will do better asking on a motorcycle forum.

Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Red,

Southwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone up for a bike ride to Big Bear Mountain this morning at 8:00 AM . . .

Head over to Circle K off the 215 & Ethanac for fuel around 9 ?

Meet at Starbucks @ 31800 Grape St, Lake Elsinore.

ZX14 Adam, Rob & Grape Ape want to go !

Meet with us down the road later on ?

Take Newport road to Goetz road.

To the Circle K on Ethanac ?

The 74 to Juniper Flats !

Hit up Bridge street ?

Gilman Hotsprings ?

The bad lands !

And Big Bear .

Red, *<(:{)-

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do an annual 2 week bike ride in July. I carry a 7 ft circular tent with the two long fold up rods that cross at the top and a detachable fly. You can get one at wally world for about $25. I don't know the brand or model #, bought it years ago. Plenty of room for me and my gear. It packs well in a duffle/sports bag with the sleeping bag that straps to the back seat.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might check out the motocamping site at:
Motocampers

for motorcycle tent camping type info. Also try the motorcycle towing site if you are interested in towing a small trailer with your Harley:
Motorcycle Trailer towing site

I towed a Timeout camper for for several years with my Ultra Classic and loved it.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harley-dave wrote:

You might check out the motocamping site at:
Motocampers

for motorcycle tent camping type info. Also try the motorcycle towing site if you are interested in towing a small trailer with your Harley:
Motorcycle Trailer towing site

I towed a Timeout camper for for several years with my Ultra Classic and loved it.

Dave

A camper is also my suggestion, we used a camper on our 5 week trip the Alaska. Truly enjoyed it.
You can always sell it later.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

sum1

So-Cal

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Skip. For a generous sampling of what's available, visit REI.com. Better deals still at their REI Outlet site. Unequalled customer service, too.

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ya, we spent 5 weeks in the Timeout 3 years ago and had the best time. We always take the dog with us so between the dog on the motorcycle and the popup camper we always had visitors when we were camped.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/13 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice (having done a LOT of motorcycle touring and camping) is forget about the stand up height and look at backpacking equipment. All of the same criteria apply as to weight and space of everything you take. I always take MOSTLY the same equipment for both backpacking and motorcycle touring. There are HUNDREDS of great camp sites along the roads to and through Alaska. We used many of them for our 35 foot trailer but some are much better suited to a bike. Out of the 60 days for our trip we spent less than a dozen in organized campgrounds.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

FreeLanceing

Grand Haven Mi

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I have checked out rei, and another my backpacking son suggested. I went to our new to GR MI Cabelas last night (big mistake unless you like crowds) and checked out there gear. I just like to touch and feel it before i buy. They have everything I would need except the tent I am looking for. There was a guy on here that did a nice evaluation of tents last year. I am traveling alone dont need no trailer to drag around. I have a real nice 2 man tent i have used. I just always wished i had a little more room. I dont need a lot of comfort stuff. Ive been a batchler for 20 years. Give me a cup of coffee and a couple granola bars or apples, and im good all day. I have plenty of room on this classic. I normaly leave that tour pac in the garage. I plan to take it along on trips so now I have all this extra space.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Motorcycle tent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS