Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: 14 years of RVing going tent camping!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> 14 years of RVing going tent camping!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
mudhound

BEAN STATION, TN USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family has been camping for the past 30 plus years. The past 14 or so have been in an RV. Our current 32 foot Sunseeker is great. However, the wife and I are planning on a tent camping trip. Yep, I have talked her into roughing it. LOL!! Wish me luck!

God Bless

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck! I wish you well.

homedad

mid-michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I ask, why the change?

rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only reason I got rv was my wife wouldn't sleep in a tent, geeeeze....

mudhound

BEAN STATION, TN USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not a change. It is a change up. We still have the RV. There is nothing wrong with it. I just want to rough it a bit. I want us to go back to our roots.
Plus, I am 99% sure we will have a blast!

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, @mud hound, I'm sure you're right. Go have a blast and enjoy yourselves fully. Good luck with the weather, the critters, and may those rough spots only make it an adventure.

JnJnKatiebug

NW Arkansas River Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the guy's tried to talk our wives into this, they would not buy in so the guy's went without them. Packed all of our gear in an old flatbottom boat and three kayaks. 4 of us floated and camped on the Buffalo River for 4 days. We had a blast, camped along the river whenever we decided to stop. Fishing was great, probably caught over 150 smallmouth bass. Came home all excited about the trip, all we got from them was "glad you had fun and glad I stayed home". It is lots of fun. I invested in a Coleman inflatable mattress and a battery powered pump. Best $20 I ever spent.

2003 HR Endeavor 38PST
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Picture in Profile

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A group of people I work with decided they wanted to go tent camping in Yosemite several years ago. My wife and I decided to join them and leave the 5th wheel at home. We had all the needed gear because I would tent camp while helping my Brother & Nephew in their Off-Road Racing venture.

Our Honda Accord was loaded floor to ceiling from the back of the front seats to the rear window and a full trunk. You would of thought we were going on a month long safari instead of a 4 day trip to Yosemite.

We stayed in a group camping area our neighbors were a church group and a boy scout troop. The campground was located across a 10 foot wide, one foot deep creek from the parking area. But you had to make a 1/2 mile U to go to a bridge to cross the creek and then walk back to the camp spot. After a couple of trips carrying stuff we got the bright idea to inflate one of the mattresses and float the rest of the stuff across the creek. Luckily nothing got wet.

First night and each night after that a couple of bears wandered through the campground. After the first night with a bear coming close enough to our tent you could hear it breathing we went to a store and bought their last whistle. The second night my DW sat up the whole night with the whistle in her mouth ready to ward off the bear. The bear must have known because it didn't come in to our campsite the rest of the trip. It did go to the neighbors, we could hear the boy scouts as they chased it away.

All in all it was fun but never again.... RV is the only way to go.

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did this this year. Yes we had a ball although the first weekend we were in need of a couple extra blankets. We are adding a kayak to the top of the little trailer this summer. Should be a blast. Hope you have as much fun as we do.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the summer my teenage son, I & the dog would go dry tent camping in the natl forest. Very remote areas for a week. DW stayed home. We had an RV & if DW went we ook RV.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> 14 years of RVing going tent camping!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping