Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Reserve America Active Advantage Scam
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reserve America Active Advantage Scam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
powderman426

N. E. Ohio/The Villages, Fla

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just thought I would give everyone a heads up on what I would call as many others have a scam. If you want to reserve a site at many federal or state parks, it is necessary to register at Reserve America as they handle the reservations. When you do this you may get signed up with a second company called Active Advantage which supposedly provides discounts to its members. I unknowingly as did some of my friends get signed up for a trial membership which if you don't respond to becomes a one year membership at $64.95 charged against the credit card you used on Reserve America. I am livid and expect much better treatment from the state and federal government as they allow Reserve America to turn over your credit card information to this third party without your knowledge or consent. So if you have used or intend to use Reserve America services, be very careful so you don't get billed for services you don't want. I know some may say this is a worthwhile membership to have, and I don't know anything about that, but as for their business practices, well that is a completely different matter. I am also now concerned that this outfit may do other unscrupulous things with my card number and I am considering having a new number issued. So please check your credit card statements for unauthorized charges. I am contacting my state attorney general and I am open for suggestions on who to contact on the federal side. Camp On.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

VW_Factor

Wut?

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was probably some sly checkbox somewhere that you checked off unknowingly signing up for the approval for the third party to bill you. Read things completely online. It could save you money and hassle.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to the Reserve America privacy policy. If you feel they have violated their policy I suggest you file charges against them but from reading the policy I find no way for them to provide credit card information to any second party web site other than those operated by the campground for which you make the reservation or the governing government agency involved.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/marketing.........ndex=-1&goto=/marketingHTML/privacy.html
More likely you have a tracking cookie, placed by a third party that knows you visited that site and THEY may have scammed you.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

classicdude

Effingham, IL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something similar happened to me online. I reserved a hotel room at a discount and, without realizing, I also signed up for for some plan that was $120 per year. They sent me a check for about $15 on that room. In very small print on the back it said if I cashed the check, it meant I agreed to the 'terms' and my credit card would be charged the $120! So much unscrupulous******going on that it's mind boggling...legal fraud!

2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

powderman426

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always look for those, and I did not see any. Also the two others that signed up got the same thing. I doubt all of us missed it. Just google active advantage scam and you will have more than enough reading to keep yourself occupied. Shame on Reserve America and our state and federal parks for allowing these bottom feeders to exist.

pf32450

Morganton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I book with Army Corps of Engineers camping sites I use Recreation.gov this is a site for all camping on federal land.

2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8321KBS
2010 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years I've had several incidents occur. I've had numerous unauthorized charges on my CC. I've even had my checking account frozen for 10 days as a result of using an ATM for deposits. Yes, my card was reimbursed and a bank employee was found pilfering ATM funds. But, what a mess. Not to mention losing access to those funds for a period of time.

Today, I've learned it's best for me to stay "old school". Cash is King! My deposits are made face to face with a teller. Out of necessity, I do online "bill pay" sparingly and with the exception of my mail service, I don't permit auto drafts. I don't do reservations or buy anything online. If I can't walk into a campground or a store and see, touch, and inspect what I'm getting, I don't need it. Sure, I lose the convenience of doing business over the phone or the net. But I minimize the risks of being the subject of financial misrepresentation or outright fraud and theft. I'm also pleased with the products and services that I purchase. YMMV

RVn Full-time

powderman426

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Here is a link to the Reserve America privacy policy. If you feel they have violated their policy I suggest you file charges against them but from reading the policy I find no way for them to provide credit card information to any second party web site other than those operated by the campground for which you make the reservation or the governing government agency involved.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/marketing.........ndex=-1&goto=/marketingHTML/privacy.html
More likely you have a tracking cookie, placed by a third party that knows you visited that site and THEY may have scammed you.
Good luck / Skip

Sorry Skip, but a tracking cookie would not give them my credit card info. There is no doubt that I will get the money returned but that is not the point. The state and federal government campgrounds should sit on reserve america so these practices will not exist. I filed a complaint with my state attorney general and the FTC. If anyone else has suggestions, I' m listening.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VW_Factor wrote:

There was probably some sly checkbox somewhere that you checked off unknowingly signing up for the approval for the third party to bill you. Read things completely online. It could save you money and hassle.

The "other" major reservation company did this a few years ago to us.

There was a sly checkbox signing me up for a magazine, and it WAS ALREADY CHECKED! I was supposed to see it and de-select it.

Now that is low! As I remember, it was for a fitness magazine and I am disabled!!

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

sh410

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powderman

We also use Recreation.gov for any camping reservation on any federal land. (US Forest Service, COE, BLM, NPS etc).

pf32450 wrote:

When I book with Army Corps of Engineers camping sites I use Recreation.gov this is a site for all camping on federal land.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reserve America Active Advantage Scam
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS