Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Debit or Credit Card?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Debit or Credit Card?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Don & Carolyn

Mnnesota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which is better?
I use my Wells Fargo debit card when I fill up with gas or grocery shopping. The pump asks for "debit or credit" and I always choose credit. In grocery stores, I choose "credit". But I am using my Wells Fargo debit card so the money is taken out immediately at the gas pump or grocery store.

I use my Master Card (credit) for things like tours or shopping.

A personal banker at Wells Fargo told me that I should be signing up for the Visa credit card at Wells Fargo and using that credit card and not the debit card. The reason is that I would be getting some 'rewards' by using the Visa card.

That got me to thinking... should I even be using my Wells Fargo debit card for gas and groceries? *PLEASE EDUCATE ME.*

Thanks,
Carolyn

big bird 2

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would love to, but it would take hours and many pages of writing. You need a financial advisor.

Big Bird 2

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get credit cards with cash back features. I use AmEx and Citi Bank credit cards and charge everything that I can, including vehicle registrations, home, auto, and life insurance, groceries, some utility bills, etc. AmEx pays up to 3% back on some purchases. I get back hundreds of dollars every year. You can also float the bill when making a charge or purchase for over a month if you time it right.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

personally, I would never use a debit card for a retail transaction. we use our credit card for literally everything excluding only those purchases at retailers who do not accept credit cards. and in those rare occasions we pay cash.

credit cards and debit cards have slightly different rules regarding unauthorized or fraudulent charges due to your card becoming lost or stolen. check here to see those rules.

we pay off our balance every month and there is no annual fee for the card.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short version....

Debit is money you have.
Credit is money you borrow.
Most of todays money problems comes from borrowed money.

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No financial advisor needed. This is a no brainer if you pay off your credit card balances in full when you get the bills. You can't even get 1% return on a CD nowadays. A debit card will only get you a giant sucking sound as your money is taken out of your account the minute you make a purchase.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always use your debit/credit card as CREDIT...you have more protection when used as a credit card

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

shawdowboss

Ames, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/13 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other is some fuel stations will put a large hold on your debit card until they process the transaction if you do Pay at Pump. This way the know there will be money for THEIR transaction. This can be a headache when travelling and making multiple stops. Most CC transactions don't do large holds at Pay at Pump.

If you are very deligent about paying off a credit card, if it has rewards, then pay everything with a credit card to get the rewards (IE money back). Why not borrow someone elses money for 30 or more days to pay for everything, just remember to pay off what you borrow to not incur interest.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don & Carolyn wrote:

Which is better?
I use my Wells Fargo debit card when I fill up with gas or grocery shopping. The pump asks for "debit or credit" and I always choose credit. In grocery stores, I choose "credit". But I am using my Wells Fargo debit card so the money is taken out immediately at the gas pump or grocery store.

I use my Master Card (credit) for things like tours or shopping.

A personal banker at Wells Fargo told me that I should be signing up for the Visa credit card at Wells Fargo and using that credit card and not the debit card. The reason is that I would be getting some 'rewards' by using the Visa card.

That got me to thinking... should I even be using my Wells Fargo debit card for gas and groceries? *PLEASE EDUCATE ME.*

Thanks,
Carolyn

Sure the WF rep states that as they make more money on the backs of the merchants when you do that.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/13 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no desire for a debit card. I can see the advantage if you have some issues with handling money. But if you can manage your money so you don't maintain a balance then a CC is the way to go. I have two: one is strictly for online purchases, and one is strictly for in person charges. Both are paid off online a couple of days before the bill is due. That means I can have a month or so of using both my money and the merchandise I purchased. Plus I get a percentage rebate back, not much, but it adds up to several hundred dollars per year. It all works for me.

Also I would never own a CC that charges you an annual fee for the privilege of owning it. With so many cards out there that don't charge, why would a person pay for one?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Debit or Credit Card?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: