Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Going Solo Tent Camping sans Vehicle: The Appalachian Trail
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Going Solo Tent Camping sans Vehicle: The Appalachian Trail

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
CrusinSusan

Wherever I am at the moment

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/13 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone! (again).

Former solo Full-time RVer, now house-landed in Florida, has decided to tackle the Appalachian Trail in her new Lunar Solo tent (very different set-up/pitch then other tents). If anyone here is interested in how one gal prepares for such an adventure (disaster??), I've re-started my blog.

I know there are wonderful people on RV.net who followed my rving blog, and maybe some of them would be interested in seeing what my next fiasco is, so I'm here to say it (hopefully in the right place).

I've purchased some "technical" equipment (which means I have to be careful with it), so, if you're interested, come read about my latest travails.

I've never backpacked overnight, and this should be good for a laugh or two.

Why? Because at my age, I have maybe 40 more chances to see flowers bloom.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/13 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck to you. HOPE you're planning on quite a few overnighters before trying to through hike the trail. Probably a little late in the season to be starting the trail now anyway. It's way beyond my own abilities at this age so all I can do is wish you well.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

paula b

oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/13 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Susan,

I'm wishing you lots of luck on your adventure. I'd be interested in following your blog as I'm sure lots of others might be. Can you give us a link?

On edit I found it in your profile.

ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/13 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you read "lost and found" by Cheryl Strayed? Highly recommend it

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/13 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wondered what happened to you! Will be eagerly reading your new blog, too.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/13 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was so relieved to learn that you are not planning to hike the AT until 2014. It's really pretty late to start this year and it seems that you have a lot of preparing to do. May I suggest that you google the Benton MacKaye Trail and consider some practice hikes on it. MacKaye was the "father" of the AT but he had also planned some loop trails to accompany it. The BMT, named in his honor, starts with the AT at Springer Mountain in north GA but after six miles, veers off to the west. It is nearly three hundred miles long and goes through parts of north GA, east TN, and western NC. It rejoins the AT at Davenport Gap in the Great Smoky Mountains NP. There are lots of good sections for day hikes and overnighters. Check it out at www.bmta.org Best of luck. lizzie

CrusinSusan

Wherever I am at the moment

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/13 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip...ya, I'll hit the trail in 2014, and in a couple of weeks I'm setting off to do some practice hikes, both on the AT and elsewhere. See what my feet can do!

Paula...I thought of putting in a link after I posted, but then thought "oh heck, it's in my sig"....but I should have anyway (even though you found it in my profile, I'll put it here too): http://crusinsusan.blogspot.com/ Hope you enjoy it! It's pretty bland right now, but it should get better as I begin stumbling over the rocks...lol

Green...no, I haven't read "Lost and Found"...I'll look it up.

Mock...hey there! Looks like I'm back at doing silly stuff, eh?

Lizzie....oh yes, tons to do...too late for this year. I have heard of, and I will look into the Benton trail, but I will be practicing on the AT this year also. Maybe I'll veer off onto it!

Thanks all!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Going Solo Tent Camping sans Vehicle: The Appalachian Trail
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS