Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Florida Road trip this summer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Florida Road trip this summer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jleas524

Lexington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/13 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, we are changing our plans and we will be going south-bound to Florida this summer. There will be my wife, my 6 y/o son and myself. We are traveling in a smaller class C, with no tow vehicle.
We want to end up in Key West, but would prefer to travel the west coast of Florida this time. We have visited most of the east coast to Cocoa Beach and most of the panhandle.
We will have about two weeks to do this now, cut down from 3-4 weeks do to a job change. We do not care to see a lot of theme parks, but prefer to see more of the natural side of Florida and its Gulf Coast beaches.
Does anyone have any recommendations for campgrounds or routes to take to make it enjoyable, mostly for a 6 y/o boy?

Thanks in advance...

John

2003 Winnebago Minnie

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Homosassa Spings and Crystal River to swim with the manatees. Click on my signature to see the manatees we swim with. Also go to Facebook and type in Gail Minor Holton for more info on (FREE) manatee tours. Many videos of many people we have taken out to educate. The wife is an underwater photographer. Good luck on your vacation. Sam and Gail

1937(BAD BOY)pontiac,all steel,chevy 350,dyno=405hp,650 holley double pumper,ps,pb tilt wheel,heat & air,
700 r4 tranny,headers,3" exhaust with flowmasters
just a good ole southern redneck country boy

Come visit with us and swim with the Manatees

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/13 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the time to stop in the Ocala National Forest at Salt Spgs rec area. You will not regret it

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/13 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get over on US 19 South after stopping at Stephen Foster State Park at White Springs off I-75. Take I-10 west to US 19 South. Then some stops at Steinhatchee, Old Town (Yellow Jacket RV Resort), Manatee Springs State Park. I would get back on I-75 to bypass St Pete and Tampa. Hillsborough River State Park is nice. Myakka River State Park and then http://www.ahtahthiki.com/ Seminole Indian Museum is interesting. I-75 across south Florida exit 49. on your way to Key West.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rscraig

Denton, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/13 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Fort Desoto park just south of Saint Petersburg in Tampa bay. It is a county park and you'll need to reserve a site early as it is very popular. Miles of sandy beaches and bike paths.

Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

jleas524

Lexington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW... thanks for all the responses... I am trying to locate all of them on the map now..

apr67

Tallahassee, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/13 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cedar Key is a worthwhile stop.

http://www.cedarkey.org/

Edward Ball State Park / Wakulla Springs near Tallahassee is great also.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/wakullasprings/

And perhaps not this trip, but maybe for you next, the gulf coast of the Panhandle has tons of great beaches and state campgrounds, starting at St George Island and working west towards Pensacola would make a great trip.

Don't take your organs to heaven. Heaven knows we need them here.
----------------
2012 Nissan Titan
2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS

Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/13 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm surprised no one mentioned Topsail Hill SP, east of Destin. It' a fabulous FHU park. The camping spots are not on the beach because it is a nature preserve, but they have a tram that takes you down to the beach every 30 min. Actually, I always counted that a good thing when my kids were little. Didn't have to worry about one of the kids running off to the water unaccompanied. Topsail is well-maintained and has paved parking, nice bathhouses, a big laundry room and even a pool. You can probably get a spot if you reserve now. I don't know about getting a walk up with out reservations in the summer.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/13 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I understand you're wanting to stay in the Keys and see all these other places, you'll need to keep moving. Also the spots in the Keys book up early so check first before going.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Florida Road trip this summer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS