Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camper fire
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camper fire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
prolandsurveyor

Denton, Nc usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whille pulling my camper to the beach Easter Sunday it caught fire and burnt to the ground. Very thankful it didn't catch fire while we were sleeping. I had the fridge running on gas and the fire started there. BTW we were covered by insurance...it was a dometic fridge. I got plenty of pics but unsure how to post them.

2003 Chevy Suburban
2006 Rockwood 2701SS
1976 fiddle playing awesome life partner "Patty"
1996 guitar picking girl "Alex"
2001 mandolin picking baby girl "Ju-Ju"
"Got time to Breathe, got time for Music." Briscoe Darling

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, sorry to hear you lost your TT.

I'm assuming you had time to safely pull over and disconnected the TT when you saw smoke but how far engulfed was it when you noticed it was on fire?

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

prolandsurveyor

Denton, Nc usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the tv and propane tanks unhooked before they went. I had no idea it was on fire until a driver waved me down. It was smoking pretty good when I pulled over. A couple mins later it was engulfed in flames.

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is just amazing to me how this company can still be putting out these refrigerators that endanger peoples lives and destroy property and they never seem to be held accountable. They know damn well they have a problem and refuse to make them safe for the almighty $$$$.
I am a firefighter and every RV fire I have been on HAS been due to refrigerators. Nothing Else.

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve
1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/13 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that's pretty scary! Glad there were no injuries and you're covered.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been on this forum for several years and every time the question comes up about travelling with the frig running, I always say no. the ones who run with it on tell me I'm just an old man who doesn't know any thing. well you just proved I was right all along. I am sorry you had to learn the lhard way. glad every one is alright

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

It is just amazing to me how this company can still be putting out these refrigerators that endanger peoples lives and destroy property and they never seem to be held accountable. They know damn well they have a problem and refuse to make them safe for the almighty $$$$.
I am a firefighter and every RV fire I have been on HAS been due to refrigerators. Nothing Else.

As an FYI, both Dometic and Norcold have issued safety recalls and performed work at no cost to the owners. I had my Dometic in the shop several years ago for a safety mod. Not sure if I've been extremely lucky or not but my frig has been running for the last 7 yrs fulltiming without incident.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

popeyemth

owensboro ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/13 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If dometic fridges were all THAT bad they would all burn.
Camper fires make the news because they are, well, RARE
How many zillions of campers have been made with propane fridges and how many zillions of miles are they driven/pulled every year WITHOUT fires?
The concern shown is appreciated but is akin to saying every vehicle made with a carberator is a death trap.

"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

every time the question comes up about travelling with the frig running, I always say no. the ones who run with it on tell me I'm just an old man who doesn't know any thing. well you just proved I was right all along.
Please explain how the act of travelling has anything to do with causing refer fires. I think you're making an illogical conclusion. In all the thousands of posts we've done on this subject, I don't recall a single one saying that a refer can catch fire because of driving.

Ranger Smith wrote:

And how many of those were attributable to the vehicle being in motion?

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/13 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

old guy wrote:

every time the question comes up about travelling with the frig running, I always say no. the ones who run with it on tell me I'm just an old man who doesn't know any thing. well you just proved I was right all along.
Please explain how the act of travelling has anything to do with causing refer fires. I think you're making an illogical conclusion. In all the thousands of posts we've done on this subject, I don't recall a single one saying that a refer can catch fire because of driving.

Ranger Smith wrote:

And how many of those were attributable to the vehicle being in motion?

NONE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camper fire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS