Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Security Issues and Safes for RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Security Issues and Safes for RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
donlb

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced (small) safe. Safe would need to be secured to a shelf, etc. Also, I am told that the keys we use for our entrance doors as well as basement compartments are fairly universal and can be interchangeable with many RVs. I am concerned that locking doors in only a mild irritant to one who is intense on breaking in. Looking for comments.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

many locks are that way but the dead bolt is not the same. you should have two keys for your door. one for dead bolt and one for handle.

Brian_B

AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

many locks are that way but the dead bolt is not the same. you should have two keys for your door. one for dead bolt and one for handle.

Hmm...interesting. I wondered what the second lock was (mine is the same key though)

96 coachman catalina 198CB Ultra-Lite. 19'-11" long, 7'-10" wide, and 8'-9" tall (plus AC) as well as a borrowed truck.

2oldman

Mattawa WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seriously, the only breakins we ever hear about are in storage lots. You'd be better off to take everything of value out of it and leave it unlocked.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mine has a two sided key for both door locks and came with the standard 751 for the compartments. I replaced the compartment locks with the round key type. I bought a small pistol safe at Dick's for about $30 to keep cameras and valuables in. bolted thru the floor.
bumpy

donlb

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donlb wrote:

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced (small) safe. Safe would need to be secured to a shelf, etc. Also, I am told that the keys we use for our entrance doors as well as basement compartments are fairly universal and can be interchangeable with many RVs. I am concerned that locking doors in only a mild irritant to one who is intense on breaking in. Looking for comments.

Thanks for your responses. I also have two locks on my coach door. Two keys too, one is a deadlock. If it is true that all deadlock keys are different then no worries I guess. I always lock both when departing. I am going to look into Dicks for a easy install (and cheap) safe.

The "A", "B", or "C's" of travel isn't so much HOW you get there; the important thing is THAT YOU DO !

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small valuables in a soup can with a screw on top. If they want to haul away 30 cans good on the hope one contains my cash, they earned the couple hundred I sometimes take. I try to not take much cash and use a debit card where I can.

Large vauables I try to leave at home but if I take them, they are covered under my $3000 contents rider on my insurance. Video camera is about the only semi valuable thing I take ocassionaly. I store it under the bed which I have a padlock on. Enough to make it difficult for lazy or oppurtunity crooks but not going to do any damage I can't repair easily if they are determined.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a different approach. We don't take anything with us camping that we care about...no art, no jewelry, no gold bars, we leave the original of the Declaration of Independence at home.

When we leave the trailer, we take our wallets and dogs. That's all we have along that we really care about...

But, in 30 years of RVing we still have not had a break in.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Realistically, a small safe is just for peace of mind. Just too easy to steal the whole thing, even if it is bolted down. I would be more inclined to hide the items as stated above.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Realistically, a small safe is just for peace of mind. Just too easy to steal the whole thing, even if it is bolted down. I would be more inclined to hide the items as stated above.

let see, my safe is through bolted to the floor. yes, a chainsaw would remove it, but that seems a little far fetched.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Security Issues and Safes for RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS