Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV shopping.....loss of deposit?!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV shopping.....loss of deposit?!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
LakeN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a loss of deposit during an RV transaction? For example: plan to buy a unit, put down deposit, learn that salesperson wrongly informed customer about features, customer backs out, dealership tells customer they forfeit their $1K deposit.

Anyone had similar scenario??

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A deposit is like a "restocking fee" on any other special order item- usually not refundable except according to whatever terms are in the agreement.

I have paid such fees- I recently did so on a tongue jack that I special ordered. In that case it was 20% of the cost of the item, which I presume is much higher percentage wise than the thousand dollar deposit you put down on your order.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

big bird 2

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/13 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not give anyone a deposit for any reason, refundable or not. If they cannot wait until I am ready or they will not order without a deposit, I move on. All a non-refundable deposit tells me is the company does not have sufficient working capital or they have problems with customers cancelling a sale, which usually means the customer was not happy.

Big Bird 2

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a lawyer (but I am related to one ) but if you have proof of some type that the salesman either lied or unintentionally gave you wrong information you should be able to get your deposit back. If you have the proof and they still refuse the refund you may need to take them to small claims court.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

2012Coleman

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put deposits on my credit card - so I can dispute them if necessary.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Jloucks

Texas, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as a 100% non-refundable deposit.

The deposit is usually used to lock both parties into the purchase process. That being said, if either party changes the rules after the deposit is made, it can/must be returned, because the entire process becomes null and void.

Example) order a car from an out of town seller. Stipulate that the car must have working AC. Seller says it does. Buyer sends 'non-refundable' deposit. Buyer sends out independent inspector. No working AC. Seller refuses to fix. AC must be fixed by seller or deposit must be returned or another mutually agreed upon resolution has to happen.

The above is an actual case I won. Got my $500 deposit back.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cannot give an informed opinion until much more is known. Things like, did they hold the unit for you for a long period of time before you cancelled? Did they do any modifications to the unit for you? Was it an in-stock unit or did they order it or trade for it from another dealer? Was there another customer for that unit that was denied the chance to buy it while it was on hold for you? Each transaction is different and there really isn't a blanket answer, though many people would disagree until they are the one selling or buying.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/13 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A deposit is a contract holding the potential purchase off the market for some agreed period of time. Unless you can prove some material difference between what was IN WRITING and what they provided, you're on the hook for the deposit. Those agreements are generally overwhelmingly in favor of the dealer, since their attorney wrote it. It might be worth your time to pay your own attorney to take a look at the contract. Don't hold your breath.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/13 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And keep in mind that when ordering a unit the manufactureres websites and brochures will state specifications are subject to change. Those changes would likely not be a valid reason for rejecting the unit.

TV 2003 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually w Duramax/Allison
2005 Keystone Cougar 314 EFS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy BC, Delorme GPS
USAF Retired

LakeN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/13 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Shoe wrote:

A deposit is a contract holding the potential purchase off the market for some agreed period of time. Unless you can prove some material difference between what was IN WRITING and what they provided, you're on the hook for the deposit. Those agreements are generally overwhelmingly in favor of the dealer, since their attorney wrote it. It might be worth your time to pay your own attorney to take a look at the contract. Don't hold your breath.

There is nothing in writing that we were asked to sign. Deposit was made by phone after leaving dealership. Nobody sent us a bill of sale or requested our signature. We asked for VIN# for insur. coverage purposes then received bill of sale by email. Unit was stock, new but 1 year old. Deposit made on a Thurs. Called off deal on a Tues. No mods made to unit but they say it was prepped. Website plainly states they do NOT charge prep on ANY unit sold.
Issue pending....have offered them $100. resolution.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV shopping.....loss of deposit?!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS