Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Do you have a Good Sam Rand McNally RVND-7725-Lm GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Do you have a Good Sam Rand McNally RVND-7725-Lm GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Navy Smoker

Northern Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/13 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the 7720 for a trip from Baltimore, MD to Natchez, MS in April and did not have problems with visibility at any time of the day or night. I am very pleased with its performance to date.

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/13 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought one and when I got it home I had it route me locally. Here there are limited access highways with 7'10" clearances and that do not allow RVs on them. This was my test for this Rand Mcnally GPS. I set my RV specs into the unit and put in the route. It sent me right onto the roads that I am not permitted on. I increased the height clearance to the maximum RV height and it did the same thing. I then changed the settings from RV to truck. Commercial trucks are not permitted on these same roads. The routing was exactly the same. I packed up the unit and took it back to where I bought it for a refund. I also contacted Rand Mcnally about this and got no satisfactory response from them.

I am going to get a Garmin Dezl Truck GPS. I tried one of these in Best Buy and the same route went no where near the roads I cannot drive on. Garmin has both 7" and 5" screen models with free lifetime maps and free lifetime traffic. There are settings in the Garmin Dezl models for both trucks and RVs.

Maybe this would not be a problem for you where you will travel with the Rand McNally but if this does not know the roads around Metro NY I would not trust it to know the road regulations and clearance heights anywhere. And if anyone is using it and comes into NY state beware because the whole state has these same restrictions on certain roads.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/13 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Rand is one of the worst RV GPS ever to hit the market. There are so many info bands on the screen that it really is only a 3.5 inch screen. The sound is like a crystal radio. The voices suck. I returned it and bought a real GPS Garmin 760 DEZL.

Moisheh

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Mission TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/13 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any body else have one? would like more info.

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/13 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will receive my 7725 by UPS today. I plan to do a full review with first impressions / setup and settings kind of stuff. Then I will do a follow up after using it for routing on a trip in 2 weeks.

2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/13 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I received my 7725 and have completed my "first impressions" blog post. You can read it here.

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Mission TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/13 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jeffcarp wrote:

I received my 7725 and have completed my "first impressions" blog post. You can read it here.

Great review, thanks, let us know when you post more.

gbond3

Palm Bay, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/13 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am curious about the mount for the ipad... i bought one and it is to awkward and when I place it forward enough on the dash, the glare makes it difficult to read... looking for something that shades the scree and provides a stable mount to prevent all the jiggling of the image.

GoPackGo

Wandering Aimlessly

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/13 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeffcarp - I also have the RM 7720 and just took delivery of an F350 so I'm interested in a good mounting system. I just read your review - very good. Can you tell me which exact Ram Mount x grip you will use ? There appears to be more then one choice. Also, how will you mount it ? Suction cup to the windshield, or some kind of permanent Ram Mount installation ? Thanks, I'm somewhat familiar with Ram Mounts as I've used them in the past. Really great, heavy duty stuff. Also not cheap.

Thanks, again.

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/13 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you GoPackGo. Yes, RAM makes 4 different X-Grips. They make one for phones, one for big phones (phablets), one for 7" tablets and one for 10" tablets. I have one for my smartphone already and bought the 7" model for the 7725. The RAM model number for the 7" is RAM-HOL-UN8BU. That model number gives you the mount, which terminates in a standard RAM 1" ball. You then, as you say, have to build how you want to mount it in your vehicle. I picked the locking suction cup RAM #RAM-B-224-1U. I've had excellent luck with that one. That also terminates in a 1" ball. Then you have to connect the two 1" balls together. The most straight forward way to do that is with a double ball socket arm. One model is RAM-B-201U. But they make a variety of lengths. You can pick the length so that the GPS sits out from the windshield as far as you'd like. RAM also makes more sophisticated mounting solutions that are permanently installed as you said. I've never used those. You are right, this stuff is not cheap but it is just awesome stuff. The suction cup, arm and X-Grip will run you about $45 pieced together.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Do you have a Good Sam Rand McNally RVND-7725-Lm GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS