Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: How do tent people pack?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> How do tent people pack?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
caranoel

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/13 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tented for years and always needed two cars. Bought a pop up seven years ago and every trip manage to fill the SUV, the Thule, and the camper until there's no room left. When in South Dakota, we saw a family of five camping in two tents. They had a sedan. We're doing some traveling this summer and rather than haul the camper, we are tenting. We are driving our sedan. Space is going to be an issue, but I welcome the change. What's on the packing lists of those families who can tent cross-country in a smaller car? We have a nine and 13 yr old boy. Thanks!

2 Parrotheads
2 Parakeets
2004 Trailblazer
1999 Coachmen Clipper 1260

"Come along, let's have some fun
The hard work has been done
We'll barrel roll into the sun
Just for starters"
-Jimmy Buffett

SAR Tracker

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/13 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a good hard look at what you bring. Do you REALLY need changes of clothes for EVERY day, or can you do laundry? Can you buy some of the food at the destination, or as required during the stay? Toys? Sporting goods that will only be used "maybe"?

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/13 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give each kid ONE duffel bag for EVERYTHING they want to take. Mom and Dad have to play by the same rules though. This doesn't count "camp items" like sleeping bags, stove, etc. Usually when it comes to camp gear, the more money you pay, the smaller and lighter things get. Sleeping bags are a great example. Also, sleeping pads are lighter and smaller than air mattresses. One last example:
The tent- This will likely be the first item needed and the last packed. Instead of packing it back into its stuff/storage sack, put it in the trunk, on top/around/behind the other gear. This way it fits into otherwise unused space.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/13 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also add a hitch cargo carrier to your car so you have more space to put your stuff! I put one on the back of my toad. Amazing how much stuff you can pack on one of these. I picked it up for $40 at Tractor Supply. There are about 20 different ones to choose from.

http://www.discountramps.com/cargo-carriers.htm

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/13 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done it MANY times on my motorcycle with no problems. Of course it's not a FAMILY thing but have done it with just the wife and me. It's kind of amazing to me the amount of stuff people think they need for camping We always took pretty much the same stuff we'd take on a back packing trip which is designed to be light weight and compact.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/13 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

answer : what rhymes with honey ?
a good 4 season tent such as a eureka timberline base camp 6 or an alps mountaineering meramac 6 ZF FG tent . folds small but will take foul weather .
available cheap on overstock.com
high quality thermarest mattress pads or the alps mountaineering knockoff .
high quality slumberjack or other sleeping bags .
stuff bags for the sleeping bags .
LED headlamps and other nifty gear can often be had cheap from costco .
alps mountaineering has the niftiest " Tri Awning " that is expensive but also folds to 6" x 28" or so . covers 95 square feet and 6 feet high at center.
REI offers very expensive but very light and small gear that work good for car camping even though they are designed for backpacking.
fleece vests and pullovers and blankets are lightweight , fold small , and outperform other fabrics .

sum1

So-Cal

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/13 02:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pack like you're backpacking, then throw in a few convenience upgrades.

Vapor_Trails

Yucaipa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/13 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why? Family of four road trip & tent camping? Why? I mean, really, why? Obviously your finances are nobody's business but is money that tight that you can't at least take the Trailblazer? It's tough enough staying in hotels with a family of four in a sedan. I can't imagine doing what you're planning. There's no need to. So, again, why? Inquiring minds want to know...

06 F150 Screw, 6.5' Bed, 4x4, 5.4, 3.73
04 Tahoe 23RB-GL
01 VFR800fi
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/13 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if you have a roof thule, skip the strap-on hitch cargo carrier and get another Thule, this time for a Class II hitch as seen in the photo below. In our Prius/Thule setup, we carry 3 passengers total and gear plus enough firewood for 3 nights, and a 6-gallon water carrier. Part of your storage issue might be the gear itself - so much of our gear has transitioned from ridiculously heavy outdated canvas tents to light polyester 6-man models at half the weight, and things that don't collapse or fold. Sleeping bags, being down, pack into a space 1/3 of our ancient way-back synthetic bags. ThermaRest pads, ditto. 3 Coleman lanterns and two lantern tripods, Roll-A-Table, stools, 3 folding MAC chairs. The chuck box is a soft-sided Kelty, pots and pans are nesting and folding Mirro and GSI, Cooler is 54-quart and we utilize the large space under the Prius hatch for the backup soda, beer, and things like the hatchet, shovel, pie oven and dog-sticks. We pack extras like an Optima 12V AGM house battery, 200W Kenwood stereo with Polk milspec loudspeakers, ipods and over 100 CDs (lots of Buffett in there) and LED special-effects lighting bars. If you camp often, the upgrades are worth it as much of our gear is lifetime guaranteed or built to last a lifetime anyway.

* This post was last edited 05/15/13 06:12pm by tplife *   View edit history

caranoel

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/13 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailblazer has 170,000 miles on it. Needs way more work than we're willing to put into it. My husband thinks we can take the SUV. I think we'll be paying someone to tow us from some remote location in Kentucky.

Always up for an adventure. See this one as a challenge: can two Scout leaders, a cub scout, and a Boy Scout really pull this off?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> How do tent people pack?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS