Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Claiming a first come campsite
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Claiming a first come campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious as to what people do when they go to a first come first serve campground without formal registration. BLM for example states: "Camping equipment and/or a recreational vehicle is set up at the site to clearly indicate the site is taken."

I don't want to leave valuable gear at a campsite to show it is "taken" and we don't want to have stay parked in the space. Interested in what people have done successfully in this situation.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of chairs placed around the fire ring, is a good way, Or putting up a dining fly, or eazyup. Maybe a grill sitting there. You got to mark it somehow, and chairs, grills, and canopies are the easiest way.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is that on a federal first come first served campground such as NPS or BLM is that unless you are ready to occupy you are not supposed to leave any thing to "claim" the sight. I don't know what to suggest other than that. We arrive and setup and done, if we don't get a "choice" site then so be it.

I will say that it ticks me off to arrive at a site and see a lawn chair or cooler sitting there with nothing else. They are taking a site and not using it for a day or so and to me that just aint right. If you want to be the "first come" then set up and use the sight!

Steve

Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

57 Panhead wrote:

My understanding is that on a federal first come first served campground such as NPS or BLM is that unless you are ready to occupy you are not supposed to leave any thing to "claim" the sight. I don't know what to suggest other than that. We arrive and setup and done, if we don't get a "choice" site then so be it.

I will say that it ticks me off to arrive at a site and see a lawn chair or cooler sitting there with nothing else. They are taking a site and not using it for a day or so and to me that just aint right. If you want to be the "first come" then set up and use the sight!

Steve

I've seen this a couple of times and I've always been tempted to move the chairs to the dump station

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

57 Panhead wrote:

Steve

Not sure why one would do it any other way. Set up, go pay the tube, have fun you are done.

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/13 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

57 Panhead wrote:

Steve

Really?....maybe they've already been enjoying their paid-for site in a smaller RV ( for days, for all you know), and just drove their RV over to the nearest grocery store, or to visit other areas in the park to hike...or see some local sights, planning to return later for dinner and a good night's sleep???

There is certainly no requirement I've ever heard of that after campers have selected and paid for their sites that they must occupy it continuously 24/7 during the reservation!

To answer the original poster, most of us leave chairs, and some use an orange traffic cone to indicate that we've paid for a site for that night.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

Dolph

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always left my ex-wife sitting in a chair at the site as a marker that we were going to occupy the site, in the next few days.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry a small pup tent with you all the time and set the tent up if you have to leave. This will mark the spot as taken. Would not hurt to leave a couple folding chairs out too. We've not ever had to do this with a TT, but if in a MH, and you want to leave your site for whatever reason, the small, inexpensive pup tent would mark your spot as taken.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/13 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess a "Be back soon!" sign would work, in addition to a few chairs.

I can see where it might be a hassle for folks with a MH or TC, that may want to drive off site to see something. Guess that is one of the bonuses of having a TT or 5er....you can leave it there....as nobody will second guess that!

I like the idea of the ex-wife.....but then again, you may not want to go back to claim your site either!!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/13 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PapPappy wrote:

I can see where it might be a hassle for folks with a MH or TC, that may want to drive off site to see something. Guess that is one of the bonuses of having a TT or 5er....you can leave it there....as nobody will second guess that!

Just as an aside... it takes about 10 minutes to offload a TC and lower it to the ground. Then, the truck's pickup is incredible.

RVn Full-time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Claiming a first come campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS