Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Keep the little ones close
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Keep the little ones close

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
photonanax3

Blaine, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/13 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A horrible and tragic accident from this weekend. Remember to keep those little ones close when setting up camp:

Clicky

Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/13 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is such a shame, and so many parents are guilty of just turning the kids loose once they get to the campground. Unfortunately, most will probably think that it won't happen to their little ones.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

KFS

Buckeye State

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/13 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't judge.

It doesn't necessarily have to be negligence "turning their kids loose" as much as the more common "I thought YOU had the baby!" problem that arises when you are away from your norm, setting up, perhaps around friends and extended family. Someone thinks Grandma has the child and grandma thinks junior is with Uncle Joe, for example.

We have camped for years with a large group of friends all of us with children and one thing we drilled into EVERYONE was the need to confirm - to the point of ridiculousness - who had the children and where. No one can "assume" that the child is safely with someone else. We need to KNOW that grandma, aunt Judy, or someone else has the kids. We think that when "everyone" is around to mind the child they are safer when, in reality, "everyone" can mean "no one" if no single person realizes they are responsible at that moment. When child minding duties are transferred back - even across a campsite - there needs to be eye contact and verbal confirmation among adults "Dan you have the baby? I'm going to shower," etc.

My heart and prayers go out to this family. No judgment. Just prayer for comfort and mercy in their loss.

* This post was edited 05/28/13 02:09pm by KFS *

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/13 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't keep them close enough IMHO. Similar thing happened in Cedar Creek near Strasburg VA last week, but I haven't seen any follow-up to determine if it was an accident or kidnapping. We have a seven year old who likes to walk out the front door unattended when no one's looking, and we've had black bears around the house and even on the front porch. Wouldn't want one of the kids surprising one, especially if with cubs.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/13 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thoughts and prayers are with this family. Children are so very fast that they can be gone within a minute. When my son was 4, we finished eating outside. I took the dishes into the pop-up, laid them down, went out and he was gone. The neighbor across told me immediately that DS had ridden his big wheel up the hill. I ran after him terrified. I always thought I was overly careful and it still happened. Needless to say big wheel was locked and DS spent a great deal of time sitting on his bed - and I will admit with a rather warm bottom.

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/13 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can still remember it like it was yesterday (even though it happened over 30 yrs ago) and it scared the life out of me, DW and all our neighbors. DW, 5 yr old daughter Stephanie and I were home on an ordinary weekend doing things families do on weekends. Suddenlly DW came into the room and asked me "where is Stephanie?" I told her I thought she was with you and it was on. We started calling her name and going through the house looking in closets, bathrooms, etc; she was nowhere to be found. We then thought she might have sneaked outdoors (which she never did without us) to play in the back yard. Our neighbors saw us acting oddly I guess and by twos and threes came over to see what was going on. After a few minutes, the whole block was looking for Stephanie, including a deputy sheriff. After what seemed an eternity DW decided to make one more sweep through the house and she found Stephanie asleep in her bedroom on the floor between her bed and the wall; a very narrow opening. I had to laugh and cry at the same time over the irony of having searched the house multiple times and not seeing her. It really brought it home to us that no matter what you do, how diligently you watch, the little ones can vanish in the blink of an eye.

* This post was edited 05/29/13 10:47pm by noe-place *

photonanax3

Blaine, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a nana, I know too how hard it is to keep track of 3 very active little boys and how quickly they can run off. When camping with us, I give them little jobs to help set up and in most cases I'm able to keep a closer eye on them.

My heart too goes out to this family as Monday would have been this little girls 2 yr birthday.

Oaklevel

MidAlantic

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

photonanax3 wrote:

As a nana, I know too how hard it is to keep track of 3 very active little boys and how quickly they can run off. When camping with us, I give them little jobs to help set up and in most cases I'm able to keep a closer eye on them.

My heart too goes out to this family as Monday would have been this little girls 2 yr birthday.

Was not camping but a small boy in the area wandered off in a instant...... Woods are common here..... It was cold & everyone searching thought the worst....... The next morning he was found with his dog who kept him from freezing overnight....... If it was not for his dog he probably would not have survived.................a happy ending but not always...................

PUCampin

Castaic

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My heart aches for these people and my prayers are with them. My 5 year old son is a high functioning autistic, and this is our most difficult problem with him. If something looks interesting, or he doesn't want to do something, or he wants to play a game, he runs off. He seldom responds and comes back when he is called, does not recognize boundaries like "don't go past the tree", and won't follow along like most kids. We are hyper vigiliant about him, but he has still escaped a couple times nearly causing my heart to stop. Once at home he went out the back door, climbed the hill in the back yard, and then scaled the 3 1/2 foot brick wall between us and the neighbor. Would not respond to his name, I finally saw him wandering the neighbors yard after climbing the hill. Back door now has a lock he can't reach. Once was at a friends house at a party. He went out the front door after someone let another person in and did not re lock it. Thank God it was a quiet neighborhood culde-sac. He was over halfway down the block.

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)

Me DW and the 3 in 3
DD 2006, DS 2007, DD 2008

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/13 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reader1 wrote:

Thoughts and prayers are with this family. Children are so very fast that they can be gone within a minute. When my son was 4, we finished eating outside. I took the dishes into the pop-up, laid them down, went out and he was gone. The neighbor across told me immediately that DS had ridden his big wheel up the hill. I ran after him terrified. I always thought I was overly careful and it still happened.

Isn't that the truth! We have a severely mentally handicapped son who cannot talk but can walk very well. We always watched him like a hawk and usually one of us is within hands reach of him. This particular day we were distracted by the weather--it was threatening rain so we got busy putting stuff away and zipping up the tent screens. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Christian walking alone through the site. In the time it took me to turn around and run to him, he walked off a 15ft cliff! The next thing my DH saw was me going over the cliff after him! Thank God there was a creek bed at the bottom that was thick with muddy leaves. We were a mess, but basically unhurt. All it took was a few seconds but it made an impression on us for life.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Keep the little ones close
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts