Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Va. St parks and pet fee
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Va. St parks and pet fee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do all of the Va state parks charge $5 for each pet?

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know, don't camp in state parks but I would pay with no problem. I do understand that you are paying for the people before and after you that don't know how to clean up after there own animals.

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey,Dexter(Golden),Bruno(Pug)
Forest River Cardinal 362bhs 2006
2005 Chevy duramax dually 4x4 crew cab,Ultra Goliath wheels with Nitto Dura Grapplers and Banks exhaust.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Va state park fees

2hams

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/13 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes for 3 days plus one time $5 reservation fee even for walk in. The 3 days is max of $15.

2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2008 Silverado 2500HD D/A

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VA has a great state park system. I have no problem paying the fee. In the grand scheme of gas,beer,RV up keep,and CG fees $15.00 is negligible and not going to alter my plans.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow..not trying to start something here, but charging a pet fee I guess is needed to as they say "offset costs."

Then how about also charging a fee for every group over 4 people, to "offset costs." For example, Oregon and Washington state parks allow 8 people per site..too many in my opinion and experience having camped next to groups of 8.

8 people per site put much more wear and tear on the facilities (bath houses, sewer systems, etc.) than 1 or 2 pets per site do.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fees for pets (and extra vehicles, extra people etc) are used as much as a management tool as a revenue generator. We will soon see posts where people will tell us they will just pass by a park that charges a fee for a pet, or fees for additional people. That is partially what those fees aim to accomplish. Also, fees have been proven time and time again to be a good way to generate additional income. It is taken to the extreme by the "Seen it on TV" industry. "Buy today, get a second one free, just pay shipping and handling!" makes those two sets of Ginsu Knives for $10.00 cost around $40.00. Having $5.00 pet fees and other fees allows the park to keep the advertised price low and still generate more income.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Wow..not trying to start something here, but charging a pet fee I guess is needed to as they say "offset costs."

Then how about also charging a fee for every group over 4 people, to "offset costs." For example, Oregon and Washington state parks allow 8 people per site..too many in my opinion and experience having camped next to groups of 8.

8 people per site put much more wear and tear on the facilities (bath houses, sewer systems, etc.) than 1 or 2 pets per site do.

Charging for groups over 4 is starting to become a trend at private parks.

Oaklevel

MidAlantic

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/13 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stopped going to Virginia's State Parks because of the pet fees & other fees..... For a weekend stay it cost us $40 per night to stray at a run down Virginia State Park Campground with small sites & dump station OR $30 a night to stay at a nice clean, big rig friendly, full hookup campground near by. ...........Which would you stay at......... That's why we no longer stay at Virginia State Parks they just priced themselves out of the market............with no up grades......

2hams

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/13 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oaklevel - maybe you have not been to the right VA state parks -- lots of them have improved or added new larger sites. I think the state is just trying to make more $$$ off the weekend campers. The fees are not as bad if you stay longer. On the other hand, with only a couple of VA state parks with sewer hookups it can be difficult to stay longer. Most are pretty and have lots of outdoors natural things to do.

That said, we have a lifetime VA state park pass that gets us 10% camping fees. Even with that, it does not make sense economically to stay for one (or two) nights when a commercial campground is the same or less. One exception is if the park is the only thing close to the route that isn't really nasty. So we stay at the VA parks much less than we used to.

BTW, it seems that not all of the park rangers agree with the dog fee. You would think for that price, we could at least have a designated dog swim area.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Va. St parks and pet fee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS