Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Camping with infant
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping with infant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
60chev

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had a new addition to our family. We are looking for any advice or tips for camping with a baby. We have a small class C we use for our camping adventures.

Thanks in advance for any advice

phenrichs

Watertown, SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our youngest daughter on her first trip when she was 2 weeks old. They make those portable playpen/crib/changing table units and we found one that is smaller. It fit perfectly between the booths of the dinette in our trailer with the table removed. Out of the way no problem. My wife was pumping so we had that along but we had hookups so no big deal. It really wasn't as inconvenient as we thought it was going to be.

2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

phenrichs

Watertown, SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is teh unit that we bought.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Travel-Lite-Portable-Crib-Fenwick/22236438

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have camped with my son from 6-weeks old onward. He's just turned one and we've already been camping this year with him again.

The biggest thing is going through the child-proofing process now that he's more mobile. When he was little, it was easier - he sat or hung out wherever you put him. Now it's getting fun.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping with a baby ... even 2 babies ... is no different than having a baby in your home living room! Just do whatever you do at home with your baby and enjoy camping. There's nothing special you need to do. They eat the same food, they poop the same poop ... so use the same diapers, they sleep on their own schedule ... so you're still not going to get any sleep at night if your at home or camping!

If the baby sleeps in a separate bed at home, make a bed in your camper, tent, whatever. If the baby sleeps with you, do the same when camping. It's not complicated, it's actually fun, and new babies get lots of attention at campgrounds, so be prepared to have visitors stop in just to look at the baby. Maybe that's the only adjustment you need to make.

We started our kids camping in the back of the pick-up truck and a tent. We had a foam rubber mattress in the back of the Chevy S-10 and slept in it since it had a shell, and used the tent to store all our junk. Baby went and did whatever we did!

These photos are from 1986, when our now 28 year old son, who is now a dad himself, was just a little guy! Nothing stopped us, and we did no extra provisions. He adapted because we never revolved our world around him. He revolved around our world.

And when the baby boy got a baby sister, and about 13 years later, camping was rooted in their blood!

Just be yourself and the baby WILL be fine! Have fun!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents started camping with my sister and I when we were infants, and I have done the same with my 3 kids.

The only issue we encountered while camping (and long car drives) that we didn't normally encounter at home was temperature control: it's really easy for an infant in a car seat to overheat, even when you're comfortable (in your shorts and t-shirt). The car seats hold heat in.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/13 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started with our children our daughter was over 2 & our son was a year old, at age 17 still enjoys it along with our 19 yr. old daughter. Best part they slept really good when camping.

2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF campers mom, dad
18 yr. old son
20 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

gcloss

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter was born in November and we took her on her first camping trip the following May and kept camping until the fall. We did it in a Rockwood pop-up. Like others said nothing more than what you would have had at home. The only thing special we had was a porta-crib we setup on the dropped down dinette table. My daughter is now 27 and has her stuff all packed for our next 5 day camping trip beginning tomorrow. Yes, we do have a son who has been camping since an infant. He now camps 12 months a year, first as a Boy Scout and now as a Para Professional for the Boy Scouts.

2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2009 Jayco Eagle 256RKS

Thumperpull

Seguin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/13 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My best advice for folks considering camping with infants is "Do It!!!" We started ours in a tent at 3 weeks and eight weeks. Some of the best memories in this old PawPaws heart is remembering them discovering the world.

Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL

doublenot7

Clear Lake, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/13 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My oldest son started camping at 1 month old in a tent, my youngest son started at 3 months with a TT. It is no different than being at home, just think temporary when planning. I remember my oldest boy getting a bath while sitting in a dish tub on the picnic table. LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping with infant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS