Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Syracuse Rally , my first and (edit to add: my last GS rally )
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> Syracuse Rally , my first and (edit to add: my last GS rally )

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ct camper

ct

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/13 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Preregistered and they parked me roadside across from the fairgrounds next to a public road. No sleep so far due to excessive traffic noise. I have an elderly person with me and it is harder for her than me. I paid the extra to come in early so I wouldn't have to end up in a situation like this.
I was told tough luck so far by one person.
At this point in time I am debating if I should leave. I may have to. After they refused to accomadate me earlier I went over and talked with the lady in registration and I hope she can get me moved. She said she would talk with the man in charge and see if she can get me moved. I am very disappointed and upset at this time.
I understand they do have some rain issues and some areas of soft ground but this is no fun at all.
I have never been treated this way in my FMCA rallies. I figured I would give good sam a try but if this is how things are run I will never return to another GS rally.

* This post was last edited 06/13/13 06:30am by ct camper *   View edit history

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/13 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great..... We don't get there until tomorrow afternoon.... can't WAIT to see where they stick us!

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

PCronin68

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/13 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great...I have an AM check in tomorrow as well. Cross my fingers

2010 Passport 2910BHS w/ 2007 Yukon XL Denali

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/13 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am due to arrive Thurs pm and am worried too. So I called the rally hotline and the guy helping me called his supervisor at the rally. He said they are not switching rvs to other sites, and he read your post and is not sure why they did this. Did this just happen to you or are they moving everyone coming in to other sites than where they planned to be?.

If this is going to be the norm for this rally then they should offer a full refund if you don't want to attend.

Ken

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/13 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt they singled you out for special treatment. You just drew the black pea when it comes to a rally site. New York state has experienced some extremely wet weather, even for them (for the record Syracuse has more rainy days than Seattle, it is a wickedly wet place). With the number of rigs they have coming in, they unfortunately may not be able to accomodate everyone's special requests, especially if the rains have taken some areas they planned to use out of service.

ct camper

ct

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/13 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I voiced my concern when they parked us yesterday. The man said that there would be no problem as the traffic noise ended here at 10 pm. It did not.

I was directed to the staging area or "pink lot" upon arrival along with the rest of the incoming RV's. I asked even if I could be moved a couple rows over away from the road this morning , before the days RV traffic arrived, but was told it's my tough luck. My elderly Mom is with me and she had a hang of a tough night with the noise. But they refused to accommodate.
She refused to get a handicapped tag from her doctor so I can't go to handicapped.

Some of the sites inside the fairgrounds are waterlogged, some aren't so bad. I drove around this morning and looked things over.

At the present they are parking rigs in a lot set up next to the highway. In that sense we are better off than they are but not a whole lot.
I haven't even had the courtesy of a call back from the man the woman at registration said would call.
Some people can handle the traffic noise better but that is not the case here. That is one of the main reasons I spent the extra to come early so I would avoid this type of problem.

This will be my last Good Sam rally you will see me at. I know the difficulties involved, I have volunteered parking at FMCA rallies before. We would do the best we could to iron out and fix issues. There are always a few tweaks needed and some have extenuating circumstances. I had looked forward to this rally and had even subscribed to the email that notified everyone about it the minute details were released.

* This post was edited 06/12/13 10:41am by ct camper *

lj2654

weeki wachee, florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/13 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad I stayed at home this time...Daytona rally was excellent, but the only one I have attended so far!

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

ct camper

ct

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/13 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four unforgettable days they advertised the rally as. They hit the nail on the head with that one.

I do lock things up here as the lot is unsecured and open. I did not see any security last night here either.

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/13 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the local police sent several hundred RVs over to Destiny USA Mall.... Now we are all over here trying to figure out what the heck is going on..... Time to open a cold, adult, carbonated beverage, and make a sandwich!!

ct camper

ct

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/13 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had just asked if I couldn't get placed where I was supposed to go then, to be moved over two rows back and further away from the grounds, and far enough away from street side so the traffic noise would not be as bad. No more no less. This was in the morning about 7:30am before any coaches arrived and they had plenty of room. Not a big deal to move me over and put the next coach that came in, in my spot if they wanted. There were still spots open on the next lot over last night and they are probably still open.
They lied to me on several occasions. One they said the traffic noise would stop at 10 pm. Two that there was handicap golf carts that would pick us up on a regular basis in the lot they put us in. Three that there would be security in the lots.Four, on two different occasions, that someone would call me back to talk with me.

Based on what I have been hearing from people today there are alot of angry people. This is a very poorly run event.

This company is run with the premise that money is more important than people. Everyone appears to be hiding or away when you want to speak with someone.They are more than willing to take your money and once they have it, they have nothing more to do with you.

With FMCA, I had a problem once with a blown breaker on a portable diesel generator. The Vice president's coach was parked prominently next to the registration office. He was there for the membership. Nice guy.... 10 oclock at night he was outside and I went over and talked with him. He made sure I was taken care of right then and there. No problems. That is what I call a class act.

* This post was last edited 06/13/13 08:28pm by ct camper *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> Syracuse Rally , my first and (edit to add: my last GS rally )
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS