Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Beware of Michelin tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Beware of Michelin tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Nevadastars

Fallon, Nv.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started a thread about this in the Class C forum, but figured it would be good info for the entire RV community. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires, until we picked up an immaculate, low mile Class C two days ago. The rig is a 25ft 2010 Four Winds Chateau with 10k miles on it and always fully covered when not in use and looks new. The tires are original to the unit and are severely dry rotted. We purchased this rig from the original owner who was meticulous about keepping the rig in top shape, although they have not used it in over a year due to his wifes illness which is why he sold it.

Today I am going to see of the only Michelin dealer in our small town can find out if Michelin will do anything about it. But I am not holding my breath. One of the manuals that came with the rig says Michelin does not cover dry rot. I checked the date codes and it appears to be they were built the 19th week of 2009. Below are three pics. This is crazy for a covered unit that is only 3 years old.....

Right rear tire....

Left rear....

Left front...

2010 Four Winds Chateau 25C
Ford E450 chassis
1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport toad

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will just only add that you have NO idea how this MH was stored/parked.

Leave ANY tire out in the sun in Florida not covered and you will find the same problem on any brand tire. Why do you think they sell tire covers?

And lastly you knew these tires looked this way when you bought it and you knew you would need to replace them before using it, so the problem is?

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it possible while he was meticulously maintaining it that he used some type of treatment on the tires to make them shine? Some of that stuff will definitely cause tire damage.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

Nevadastars

Fallon, Nv.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor, did you even read the post??? The rig was FULLY COVERED EXCEPT WHEN IN USE. The rig still shines like the day it was purchased. The owner is splitting the cost with me on new tires.

* This post was edited 06/14/13 08:05am by Nevadastars *

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/13 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nevadastars wrote:

rockhillmanor, did you even read the post??? The rig was FULLY COVERED EXCEPT WHEN NOT IN USE. The owner is splitting to cost with me on new tires.

And you can verify this - come on

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nevadastars wrote:

I started a thread about this in the Class C forum, but figured it would be good info for the entire RV community. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires, until we picked up an immaculate, low mile Class C two days ago. The rig is a 25ft 2010 Four Winds Chateau with 10k miles on it and always fully covered when not in use and looks new. The tires are original to the unit and are severely dry rotted. We purchased this rig from the original owner who was meticulous about keepping the rig in top shape, although they have not used it in over a year due to his wifes illness which is why he sold it.

Today I am going to see of the only Michelin dealer in our small town can find out if Michelin will do anything about it. But I am not holding my breath. One of the manuals that came with the rig says Michelin does not cover dry rot. I checked the date codes and it appears to be they were built the 19th week of 2009. Below are three pics. This is crazy for a covered unit that is only 3 years old.....

Left front...

The date code on the tire above is 1809 - indicating that Ford got tires made in the 18th week of 2009 to mount on the rims, that where mounted on this chassis sometime in 2009 or 2010. then the chassis is shipped to the manufacture, who then installed a 2010 body on it, and could have sold it as soon as August 2009.

Basically the tires are now 4 years old. They typically will last about 7 years but you did not seem to get that much service out of this set.

Because they are not covered in the sun? Who knows. Perhaps to much tire treatment that reacted with the tires?

My tires are a bit older and do not look that bad, and I never treated them, or covered them.

Fred.

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look like the Michelin tires that were on my last truck. No my truck was not stored and at the time the tires were only 3 years old?????? Yeah got new tires and no will not buy Michelin again.

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

wa8shc

Parma, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the last tire picture, you can just see the DOT info in the upper right corner.

It appears to read 1808 or 1809, which would translate to either an early 2008 or 2009 built tire. That means 4-5 year old tires

Add to that the fact that the rig has been sitting for a minimum of 1 year, and I'm not at all surprised to see dry rot in these tires

When I bought my truck in AZ, it had sat on a dealers lot for almost 6 months in the AZ sun. Within a year, I was seeing the effects of dry rot. Michelin replaced all 5 tires on a pro-rated basis
JMHO

Denny WA8SHC and Rita WB8TIR
Siberian Husky Ta'kya (Princess RIP 10/04 Taz RIP 5/12/08)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L CTD 3.73/LSD,Quadzilla RECON monitor
2008 Rockwood 8243S 5th wheel
Pullrite 14K Superglide & MorRyde pinbox

Nevadastars

Fallon, Nv.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fred, I never asked about him about tire treatment. I will give him a call today and find out. Either way, it just seems way to premature for a set of Michelins to crack like that. I have never seen tires of any kind crack that quickly around here, even when in the sun every day. In my internet search, I have been reading bad things about Michelins made in China. Although I have no idea how to tell where these were made.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire Dressings come in two varieties: Solvent Based (which are clear and greasy) and Water Based (which are milky). Aside from being non-biodegradable and often slinging up onto your paint while you drive away, solvent-based silicone dressings contain an compound known as Dimethyl (DMS) which leeches the elasticity from the tire causing it to harden prematurely. It also advances the movement of Antiozonant out of the rubber, causing premature browning of the tire called “blooming”.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Beware of Michelin tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS